Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Wrist watch weather station (long range calculations)

  1. #1

    Reliable but cheap Barometer/Thermometer

    Can anyone recommend a wrist watch that has a weather station or just a barometer/thermometer that would be usable on the range for ballistic calculations / load testing. I'm not expecting the same performance of a kestrel 4500 and similar but I'm exploring cheaper options.
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 03-03-2014 at 16:26.

  2. #2
    Or just a reliable barometer/thermometer (as edited in OP)
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 03-03-2014 at 16:25.

  3. #3
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Highlands/Herefordshire/London
    Posts
    430
    If you use an Iphone you could try downloading some apps from which you can get up to minute accurate weather results for your location giving temperature, air pressure, wind direction and wind speed. I must admit that I dont use these often (other than anticipated wind direction which I use all the time) but I have used these in the past to check what effect such variables would have on my one load in all the different places that I plink out to way beyond stalking distances (eg Highlands in the winter time and Hereford in the summer time and vice versa). Weatherpro is the weather app I use. I can't recall the wind one but there are lots (sorry I have misplaced my Iphone this week so cant be more specific). I also just found this on the web when trying to confirm which wind app I had http://www.weatherflow.com/a-wind-me...r-smart-phone/ could try that(?)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a wrist watch that has a weather station or just a barometer/thermometer that would be usable on the range for ballistic calculations / load testing. I'm not expecting the same performance of a kestrel 4500 and similar but I'm exploring cheaper options.
    temperature with a wrist watch has always been a problem, unless you are prepared to take it off and leave it hanging in the open air for 15 mins or so, Casio do a range of sensor models with barometres that can give you a trend for weather prediction, although again the barometre can be effected by body heat.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  5. #5
    Thanks guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    If you use an Iphone you could try downloading some apps from which you can get up to minute accurate weather results for your location giving temperature, air pressure, wind direction and wind speed. I must admit that I dont use these often (other than anticipated wind direction which I use all the time) but I have used these in the past to check what effect such variables would have on my one load in all the different places that I plink out to way beyond stalking distances (eg Highlands in the winter time and Hereford in the summer time and vice versa). Weatherpro is the weather app I use. I can't recall the wind one but there are lots (sorry I have misplaced my Iphone this week so cant be more specific). I also just found this on the web when trying to confirm which wind app I had http://www.weatherflow.com/a-wind-me...r-smart-phone/ could try that(?)
    The iphone wind app is very clever!

    I actually want to steer away from apps as I already use quite a few. Also I need accurate real-time barometric readings rather than ones based on the nearest weather station otherwise future calculations could be out.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    temperature with a wrist watch has always been a problem, unless you are prepared to take it off and leave it hanging in the open air for 15 mins or so, Casio do a range of sensor models with barometres that can give you a trend for weather prediction, although again the barometre can be effected by body heat.
    Having been looking at some of whats on offer I think I will be wanting something that is hand-held. Just need some consumer advise. The simpler the better. I already have a caldwell wind meter so that will do me for wind speed at the firing point for now.

  7. #7
    I have a suunto observer which is great. Don't use it for what you intend it for but it has the functions you are interested in (thermometer, barometer, compass, altimeter etc).

  8. #8

  9. #9
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I have a Silva Wind Meter (an old one, but the new one can be seen here: ADC Wind | SILVA)

    It does wind speed, temperature, barometric pressure, etc. It seems to be very accurate, though to be honest I only probably use it one or twice a year at most. I bought it when I was doing some long-range stuff but then realised I actually preferred stalking in to deer instead

    If you'd like to give one a try before committing to buying one, let me know.

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  10. #10
    I would not bother with a watch or a cheap anemometer. I've been there seen it and done it. The well know saying **** in **** out comes to light. You need to use station pressure not barometric pressure. If you don't want to go to the expense of a kestrel go for a Skywatch explorer 4. this is a small and compact anemometer that will give you wind speed, station pressure and temperature plus lots more. When you input this into an app ensure your altitude is zero as the station pressure measures the pressure of where you actually are and not the barometric pressure at sea level.
    http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles...ownloads/Baro/ For more info go here.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* ACI with rings & Kestrel 4000NV Weather station
    By oneeyeopen in forum Optics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-10-2013, 18:43
  2. For Sale Kestrel 4500 Pocket Weather Station
    By Deanot2000 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-06-2013, 20:13
  3. 25-06 bullet drop calculations
    By MGD in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 14:15
  4. Long range shooting (worth a watch)
    By Doc H in forum Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-02-2012, 20:12
  5. Where do you get your long range weather forecasts?
    By digger9523 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-10-2011, 18:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •