Thread: Out on the muddy ground

Out on the muddy ground

After another trip to the game dealer I am starting to think not many are being shot this season due to the conditions. How many are down on their cull and by what percentage ?? My own cull is on target and I just picked up more ground due to the stalker next door not being seen for a year by the landowner!!
    ATB Steve

I have just checked the Accuweather website and confirmed that it has rained every day in my local area (Cornwall) since 10th December last year; amounts range between 1 - 47mm. The forecast shows that tomorrow should be the first dry day for nearly 3 months- Hallelujah!

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    After another trip to the game dealer I am starting to think not many are being shot this season due to the conditions. How many are down on their cull and by what percentage ?? My own cull is on target and I just picked up more ground due to the stalker next door not being seen for a year by the landowner!!
    ATB Steve
    Lucky man, after having no (and I mean NO) activity on my small pieces of ground (confirmed with trail cams) I've been out searching for some more productive areas for the last two months and all I hear is "sorry I've already got some old boy who has been doing it for years".

I did get chatting to another stalker whilst at work recently who put down the low numbers of deer out and about to the bumper crop of acorns meaning they haven't been forced out into the open looking for food.

What you want to remember is that some of us have been out there hunting for many years.
    I have 3 pieces of land that I have been shooting for more than 30 years,
    as a result of my efforts I have had a good many of their neighboring farmers ask me to control their deer population as well.
    I and many others only keep our ground because we try and do the job properly.
    The up side for other stalkers is that when we are too old the land will be up for grabs

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    What you want to remember is that some of us have been out there hunting for many years.
    I have 3 pieces of land that I have been shooting for more than 30 years,
    as a result of my efforts I have had a good many of their neighboring farmers ask me to control their deer population as well.
    I and many others only keep our ground because we try and do the job properly.
    The up side for other stalkers is that when we are too old the land will be up for grabs
    Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge anyone the land they have I'm just being a little moaner as I've not seen a deer in the last 12 months let alo e had a chance to shoot one and every good piece of ground I enquire about is either owned by a bunny hugger or has a long term stalker already there.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge anyone the land they have I'm just being a little moaner as I've not seen a deer in the last 12 months let alo e had a chance to shoot one and every good piece of ground I enquire about is either owned by a bunny hugger or has a long term stalker already there.
    Such is life for the likes of us mate.

As Robin said, one day these old codgers will Have to give up the ground, so it's just a waiting game. All you need is the luck to be in the right place at the right time and ready to pick up where the old fart finished, or organise a few cut brake lines to speed up the process, and you'll pick a bit up.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.