Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood or Plastic

Wood or Plastic

Since returning to fieldsports I bought a couple of rifles, and a shotgun. I have one to go to complete the set. The .22 is plastic and a nice wee gun. The prohunter.243 is again plastic and a good rifle. The thing is they don't feel right. Bit like a tool rather than a classic. You nizzle into a nice wood stock, Everything feels comfortable and in the right place. It is more than a tool. Probably it is also your pride and joy. Something to be cherished and polished. It certainly is not something to be hosed off with the power washer. The .270 will be wood. No question. But how do you feel? Is practicallity now the key word rather than pride? Do you use wood or plastic by choise? Like in fishing pride is the thing that makes you care for your kit. Strip down clean and put away or sling in the landie till the next outing? Where's my net?
    Jim

I have mixed feelings. I recently had grave reservations about having my beautiful wooden Steyr Mannlicher cut and spoil its look with a moderator. It's stupid really as it's just a tool but I am finding it really hard to take the plunge.

I wouldn't have a problem with having a synthetic stock and may well go that way if I make a change.

My rifle is a tool and has a synthetic stock - I keep the nice wood for my shotguns

Now this gave me a laugh, not at you chaps, but because I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel if fact so much so that as I could not bring myself to "butcher" one of my classic rifles so that's why I brought a rifle that was already screw cut. Someone else had the buthery committed and not me . So I can sleep at night withut nightmares

The screwcutting has been done very neatly and the fore sight ramp removed not just milled down as I have seen on some. I will in fact try to get a replacement ramp and sight blade and see if I cannot trim it slightly so the foresight ramp can be refitted but we shall see but the moderator still used .

I even used this excuse to get another rifle added to my ticket but plastic or should I say synthetic nope let's face it........... it's plastic and I don't do plastic Blued steel and walnut thank you very much and prefrably with an oiled finish to the wood .

Old fashioned it may be but then I like old fashioned .

I recently had grave reservations about having my beautiful wooden Steyr Mannlicher cut and spoil its look with a moderator. It's stupid really as it's just a tool but I am finding it really hard to take the plunge.
    No it's not "just a tool" it's a piece of gunmaking art some thing to be looked at, handled and just plain admired let alone shot and hunted with

I have both, walnut on my Sako, & overmoulded on the Howa, & a basic pseudo nylon stuff on a Tikka, walnut on a CZ, some sort of plastic on the 10/22, the Sako goes out in all weathers, stalking & the range, I just look after it, what did everyone do before modern materials? 8)

whatever you choose, dont let it distract you from why you are out there with it, and definately dont let looking after it get in the way of your hunt!

(ps if you have to stuff it in the hedge and pick it up later - plastic is better)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksden
    whatever you choose, dont let it distract you from why you are out there with it, and definately dont let looking after it get in the way of your hunt!

(ps if you have to stuff it in the hedge and pick it up later - plastic is better)
    In the hedge with or without the bits?

Hi Jim,

I have just bought a nice little Sako 222 Deluxe, and I have to say I know were your coming from ?, but I also own a Sako in 243 and 708, and they are both synthetic.

My rifles are my tools so they have to be workmanlike, out in all weathers, it doesnt matter I clean them down and there good to go which is great, now I have just had the 222 screwcut, and it doesnt look wright, so I have ordered a synthetic stock for it, so I guess it has got to be plastic, oh sorry synthetic.

But all said and done its your money and your rifle, so go with what pleases you,best of luck Nick

I have two staling rifles; one is a Sako AII attached to a nice piece of walnut. This has recently been rebarrelled and cut. I'd put off the cutting for ages, as I didn't want to spoil it's appearance, but I've now got hooked on moderators, and I've had an 'invisible' thread cap made by the riflesmith so that if I want to hide my addiction, I can.

The other rifle is a 75 Finnlight. No qualms about cutting that, although it also has an 'invisible' thread cap. An excellent rifle for filthy weather, not that the other one has any problem with weather - I just worry about it more.
    My stalking pal (a walnutty traditionalist) referred to it, slightly dismissively, as my 'rubber rifle'.

Everyone should have a wood stocked rifle, but also one for "Wet work"