Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Mears Merino Possum beanie hat

Ray Mears Merino Possum beanie hat

Anybody uses this hat? I want a warm hat wich can be pulled down deep in the neck and over the ears. This to work outside in urban environment. Opinions if possible.

Yep got one.

I like it. If a sensitive type, it can be a bit itchy for the first few outings. But overall great - warm and cosy, but breathes. Its double material and takes a short while to get the knack of folding it ( but easier than 'cap comforter' ). Long enough to pull down to nape and cover top 2/3 of your ears.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

For cold conditions I much prefer this type of hat by Carhartt over the beanie style: Better protection over the ears and nape of the neck, plus the pull down face mask is handy when sitting in a high seat. Obtainable on Ebay - that's where I bought a brown one from but they now appear to have camo versions available.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&produ ctId=74110&langId=-1&categoryId=10902&top_category=10901&quickView=fa lse

Attachment 38730

I have had one for a few years, absolutely brilliant, the stalker I shoot with got one after he saw mine, swears by it for the cold weather, surprisingly keeps a lot of rain out. Four of my friends got one after seeing mine. I put a little stitch to hold the two layers together.

I have a few & they work well. Warm but not too hot. And for the city they do them in Black...

Possum fir is great stuff, and you all should buy it , I have to admit a interest in this as I bought a possum plucker when in NZ,

I had one and loved it till the puppy chewed it (git!)

I really must get another.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I have a couple from this place Merino-Possum Sweaters Accessories brilliant things that keep me very warm when working nights outdoors.

Didn't like mine at all, shed too much hair, like having a dog sat on your head that is moulting. Apparently all merrino possum blends will shed 5% of their hair per year, was just too much for me. Sent it back for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    Didn't like mine at all, shed too much hair, like having a dog sat on your head that is moulting. Apparently all merrino possum blends will shed 5% of their hair per year, was just too much for me. Sent it back for a refund.
    Never had that problem and none of my friends, maybe a bad batch