Thread: hawke scopes what one?

hawke scopes what one?

as above, what scope to buy as a "get me by" till i can save 2000 for a swaro so what one out of these two?

Hawke Airmax 30 8-32x50 with amx mil dot reticle

or

Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical SF 8.5-25x42 with 1/2 mil dot 20x reticle?

cheers charlie

I have never been a fan of the Hawk scopes they have never seemed very clear when looked though and a recent trip lamping with one was bordering on a joke , iron sights would have faired similar.

I would look into getting something from a shop like this or similar.

2 scopes in there for under 300 caught my eye.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%20S_H%20STOCK%20LIST.pdf

the Air max suggests an air rifle scope and the mention of tactical on the second suggests a thin reticule which may hamper things at first and last night

Given the Sidewinder's asking price, have you considered a Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 Mil Dot SF ?

Currently they are 299 from Sportsmans Gun Centre Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 - Optics - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

Cheaper than Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical and infinitely better optics, with a better range of more useful magnification IMHO.

I've not looked through an Airmax for a few years so can't comment but I have had good squint through a recent vintage Sidewinder 30 Tactical and it's a crock by comparison to the Nikon Monarch.

If you can live without the multiple aim points have you considered the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3 - 9 x 50mm Rifle Scope ?

Sportsmans Gun Centre has the Multi-X ret (plex to you and me) marked down for 188 at the moment and they're a steal at that price.

The older Legends had a thicker cross hair but the newer HD models have a very fine ret and they work very well in poor light.

I have a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 mil dot SF and it punches well above its weight and its ret is far thinner than my older model 5-15x40 Legend.

Depending on what you will be shooting, and where, you may find the lowest mag is still a shade too high on the two scopes you mentioned, and the higher mag ranges they offer are going to be superfluous and probably counter-productive for anything other than range target shooting.

I'll have my 4.5-14x44 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD with me on the weekend near Berwick Upon Tweed if you want a squint through it - not too far from your neck of the woods...
    Last edited by .30-06; 03-03-2014 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    Given the Sidewinder's asking price, have you considered a Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 Mil Dot SF ?

Currently they are 299 from Sportsmans Gun Centre Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 - Optics - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

Cheaper than Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical and infinitely better optics, with a better range of more useful magnification IMHO.

I've not looked through an Airmax for a few years so can't comment but I have had good squint through a recent vintage Sidewinder 30 Tactical and it's a crock by comparison to the Nikon Monarch.

If you can live without the multiple aim points have you considered the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3 - 9 x 50mm Rifle Scope ?

Sportsmans Gun Centre has the Multi-X ret (plex to you and me) marked down for 188 at the moment and they're a steal at that price.

The older Legends had a thicker cross hair but the newer HD models have a very fine ret and they work very well in poor light.

I have a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44 mil dot SF and it punches well above its weight and its ret is far thinner than my older model 5-15x40 Legend.

Depending on what you will be shooting, and where, you may find the lowest mag is still a shade too high on the two scopes you mentioned, and the higher mag ranges they offer are going to be superfluous and probably counter-productive for anything other than range target shooting.

I'll have my 4.5-14x44 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD with me on the weekend near Berwick Upon Tweed if you want a squint through it - not too far from your neck of the woods...
    the reason ive gone for the high mag is because im buying a 204 and just want a get me "buy" scope for a few months so I can miss some vermin at 100yrd +

and thankyou for the other options, I will look into them and I may take you up on that, if I not working, will keep in touch and sort sought out

[QUOTE=.25-06;745667]I have never been a fan of the Hawk scopes they have never seemed very clear when looked though and a recent trip lamping with one was bordering on a joke ,

was out last night and noticed a fair difference between truck lights and a led spot when looking through scope.
    seems led needs different parallax setting compared to car light,, might just be me,