Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifles seized by police!

Rifles seized by police!

Hi all,

I was out lamping sat night and got pulled over by west Mercia police in a random check, the checked my truck over and was all ok, they saw the rifles in the back and decided to do a check on them , I am currently in prosser of a renewal and the turned around and said I have no licence and said they are going to take rifles off me and take back to Hereford police station!
    Can they do that ? Ie : should they of sent someone to collect them who had a licence to carry firearms?
    also I thought you can still use rifles whilst going through a renewal?

Any my help be great

thanks

matt

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Hi all,

I was out lamping sat night and got pulled over by west Mercia police in a random check, the checked my truck over and was all ok, they saw the rifles in the back and decided to do a check on them , I am currently in prosser of a renewal and the turned around and said I have no licence and said they are going to take rifles off me and take back to Hereford police station!
    Can they do that ? Ie : should they of sent someone to collect them who had a licence to carry firearms?

Any my help be great

thanks

matt

This is serious so a forum is not really the place ,call BASC or what ever organization you are in and get professional advice , out of interest were you charged?

not they cant,,do they say when you renew your ticket to hand them in or not use them ,,nope..so get on to them and inform basc,,, also i would not trust a normal policeman with any firearms and would have demanded that you seen his fac before handing over to him......

If you don't own, or have in your possession your FAC then I would say the police do have the right to remove, if they have not sorted your renewal in time it is up to you to request a temporary certificate to cover your arse (they can't refuse to give this) so I would say, by the letter of the law, they are entitled to do as they have.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Police don't need an FAC to seize, otherwise how would they ever seize automatic firearms or illegal hand guns..... Apart from getting their armed response unit involved.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Whilst I'm sure you will get some sound advice and support on here I suggest it is proper professional advice you need and a call to BASC firearms department tomorrow morning would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Hi all,

Any my help be great

thanks
    matt
    A big no no to that the rifle,s are classed as un Licensed and should be stored with an RFD until the renewal goes though I would get some advise on this ASAP try David from BASC

No they never charged me with anything, and I thought they should of arrested me for being in charge of a firearm with out a licence!

will get on to BASC in morning .

I assume your old license had'nt expired ( you had put in the renewal
    well before expiry date) ! In which case you would still have a valid cert,
    just unable to produce. Don't quote me on this but when acting on hehalf
    of the Crown does a constable need a licence ? (perhaps someone could enlighten)

Rgds, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 03-03-2014 at 21:36.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I assume your old license had'nt expired ( you had put in the renewal
    well before expiry date) ! I which case you would still have a valid cert,
    just unable to produce. Don't quote me on this but when acting on hehalf
    of the Crown do they need a licence ? (perhaps someone could enlighten)

Rgds, Buck.
    Yep , if his FAC has not expired then theres no case surely , dont BASC say NOT to send your old one in on a renewal ?