Thread: Never too young to start?

Never too young to start?

Hello,

I've been reading threw the endless information on this site for a while, without registering.. so figured it was time to get involved!

I'm 21, go to university in Leeds, but primarily live in the peak district, staffordshire. I started out with air rifles a while ago, and then moved up to shotguns and now into rifles. At the moment i shoot 22lr, 17hmr and 223, but i'm going threw a (very long..) process to obtain a 308 and then a 6.5x47.

I'm fortunate enough to have my own land in staffordshire, and several local farmers willing to let me shoot, so land isn't an issue at the moment. I'm hoping from this site i'll pick up more information on anything rifle related, and hopefully build up my knowledge on Deer stalking, which is currently very lacking. At the moment i've been out stalking for a day, along with having had instruction from the guys at Calton Moor Range (which is just down the road from me) and very much enjoyed it. So i'm hoping to go there for several more instructional days, and then maybe do some qualifications.

I'm hoping to use (if they approve it) the 308 for stalking and the 6.5 for target shooting at Diggle, but i'm one for the modern type rifles, so not the classic wooden rifles. That being said i do appreciate some lovely woodwork on shotguns and that sort of thing.

Some people seem to frown on younger people taking up shooting as a sport, hopefully i can be one of the ones that proves that being in your early twenties doesn't mean your not sensible.

Thanks,
    Ali

welcome i think youve allready got a good start enjoy, doug
    DONT START

Welcome to the forum mate and don't go being too sensible or you won't fit in!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Hahahaha like the sound of that! Forgot to mention that I'm also wanting to give reloading a go, yet I can't seem to find an actual kit list anywhere.. Apart from, you need a press and dies

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by alijnclarke View Post
    Hahahaha like the sound of that! Forgot to mention that I'm also wanting to give reloading a go, yet I can't seem to find an actual kit list anywhere.. Apart from, you need a press and dies
    CSL posted a great thread in reloading. Spud on here will be able to sort you out with everything you need, but my advice would be find someone local to you to show you the ropes.

Re your intro, yeah there are some old fuddy duddy types on here who think anyone who hasn't shot 10000+ deer over a 50yr period isn't worth speaking to... but plenty of normal people on here too!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    CSL posted a great thread in reloading. Spud on here will be able to sort you out with everything you need, but my advice would be find someone local to you to show you the ropes.

Re your intro, yeah there are some old fuddy duddy types on here who think anyone who hasn't shot 10000+ deer over a 50yr period isn't worth speaking to... but plenty of normal people on here too!
    i resent that im not normal ,and i havnt shot any deer yet,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    CSL posted a great thread in reloading. Spud on here will be able to sort you out with everything you need, but my advice would be find someone local to you to show you the ropes.Re your intro, yeah there are some old fuddy duddy types on here who think anyone who hasn't shot 10000+ deer over a 50yr period isn't worth speaking to... but plenty of normal people on here too!
    I'll try dig that thread out, cheers. Yeah Spud's been great help in the past, keep meaning to give him a call to order some kit! I've had an offer from a few lads to show me the ropes, so i think i should be sorted on that. Just nervous incase i break something... Well i'm not sure I'm normal! hahaha

Hi and welcome to the site.