Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dismantling ammunition – trimming/resizing primed brass

Dismantling ammunition – trimming/resizing primed brass

Looking for some advice here chaps.I have assembled about 40 rounds of .308 Winchester, about a dozen of which do not chamber properly.

I assembled these with a Lee Loader (as in the type you hammer the brass into) using once fired brass, and loaded with 150grn Hornady interlocks.

The OAL for each of these is 2.795-7.

I trimmed and chamfered all of my cases before neck sizing, priming, charging and bullet seating each one individually.

I think there can be only two likely reasons for the 12 or so which don’t chamber reliably, either:
    a) under sized at the neck, or
    b) under trimmedAre there any other causes I should be aware of?

I am planning to pull the bullets. Should I attempt to de-prime the cases once I have done so?

I may be able to get away with hammering a primed case into the neck sizing die, possibly using a steel washer to minimize the risk of striking the primer, but I certainly won’t be able to use my Lee case trimmer on a primed case.

Should I just attempt to use the de-priming pin and knock the (still live) primers out.

If I do this without causing detonation, can the primer be re-used (at under 4p a pop, should I care weather or not the primer can be re-used ?)
    Either way, I’m planning to have a dismantling and reassembling session this weekend.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Last edited by LeftHandGuy; 04-03-2014 at 15:02.

I did this once when I didnt resize the properly, I bought a body die and knocked them back without having to disassemble.

are these your own chambered cases?, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

i would de-prime them first feller, then get a press and reload without the use of the range reloading tool some cheap used kit on here. or get a arbor press so each time you reload the same force is used .better stll by some dies and a press and save all that swinging a hammer around . i think you have a head space fault due to not fully FL case re-sizeing and not the trimming of said case's , you could remove the pin from you die if you can and resize leaving the primer in but i would't with your set up,if the anvil is't damaged then it should be ok to reuse them again, i would discard them and i wished i was closer to help you out better, must be someone nr you on the SD that can have a look and lend a helping hand.
    be safe
    paul
    Last edited by paul o'; 04-03-2014 at 15:05.

Thanks for the answers so far!

I think the main mistake I've made is buying once fired brass and using a reloading tool really designed to reload brass that has been fired in my chamber. Yes a press with an FL die would probably solve my problems.

I think what I'm going to do is this,

1. Pull the bullets and powder from the suspect rounds.

2. Put the primed brass in a bag at the back of my safe, marked DO NOT USE.

3. Re neck size then trim the remaining brass that I have (I bought 100). Check that each one chambers - add any that do not chamber easily to the DO NOT USE bag.

4. Load the brass that does chamber.

5. Buy a press (might have to wait a bit to do this!)

Thanks again!

Thats good self advise there. i know someone who is stopping reloading for .308 and has dies and a partner press all will be around a £100 for the lot. i am seeing him on the range next week the 15/4 it will be for sale once i get it and make sure its all ok to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by steerpike View Post
    Thanks for the answers so far!

I think the main mistake I've made is buying once fired brass and using a reloading tool really designed to reload brass that has been fired in my chamber. Yes a press with an FL die would probably solve my problems.

I think what I'm going to do is this,

1. Pull the bullets and powder from the suspect rounds.

2. Put the primed brass in a bag at the back of my safe, marked DO NOT USE.

3. Re neck size then trim the remaining brass that I have (I bought 100). Check that each one chambers - add any that do not chamber easily to the DO NOT USE bag.

4. Load the brass that does chamber.

5. Buy a press (might have to wait a bit to do this!)

Thanks again!
    You are quite correct, if you buy pre fired, it is advisable to full length resize as chambers differ.

To save wasting your "do not use brass"......fully resize (once you buy proper dies) (carefully) with the de capping pin removed.....redding bushing dies are great for this but most will do.

As with all reloading...safety first, wearing of safety glasses should be mandatory....you have 2 eyes and keeping them is your priority
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

pull bullets and save powder and run them through the press as normal or pull the pin if your FL die has a pin
    I have pushed live primers out of many rounds and not had one go off

would rather do it with a press than a Lee Loader decapping pin and a hammer though!

I have used a Lee de-capping pin and base to knock live primers out, not had even one go pop
    on a batch off 100 cases.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I have used a Lee de-capping pin and base to knock live primers out, not had even one go pop
    on a batch off 100 cases.

Neil.
    That's encouraging to know - although since I've plenty of un-primed, un-sized brass, I think I'm still going to reclaim the bullets and powder of the suspect rounds and make sure the next lot of brass chambers correctly before I load it!