Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 223 roe

223 roe

Anybody here taken some game with a 223 rifle? Mostly thinking on roe. Dont know if I sould get a 223 as a Roe rifle or just use my 308.

223 is small you know, around 3grams bullet and 308 around 10-12grams. Dont know if I will get too many runners with 223?

Not legal in England but pretty sure it's quite a popular chambering in Scotland for roe.

Not used .223, but use .222 (55gr soft points) quite often on roe.

Perfect at shorter range (not much more than 100m) - never had a runner. You do have to be on the ball with shot placement. And it can make an astonishing mess if it hits shoulder on the way in.

I am uncomfortable with it much beyond 100m, in strong wind or where I'm worried about recovering runners - then I switch to .243 or (very recently) .308.

The 223 is fine for roe - as a chambering in a rifle (local laws permitting) - the only problem I see is the availability of expanding bullets that won't fragment on entry. Most 224 bullets seem to be varmint style & not good for penetration. The last thing you want is a runner caused by the bullet disintegrating if it hits a shoulder bone on entry or lots of bits of lead spread through the carcase.
    I'd be interested to hear others recommendations for thick jacketed bullets around 55 grains for that reason.(my 223 has a 1 in 12 barrel twist so I can't go above 60 grain bullets with it).

Ian

Use the 308 Better to be sure.

I use 60gr Hornady Soft Points on roe (admittedly .222)
    they don;t fragment and always exit
    last few shots ranged between 40 and 170yds

all shot centre chest, all dropped on spot with the exception of one that made it about 4 yds and dropped (experience of shooting roe with .243 and .270 has been successful but meat damage is always higher

I think .222/.223 is the perfect round for roe

The very last one was shot centre chest whilst slightly quartering and above me
    shot exited at upper shoulder and the far side shoulder was still salvageable

Quote Originally Posted by Renico View Post
    Anybody here taken some game with a 223 rifle? Mostly thinking on roe. Dont know if I sould get a 223 as a Roe rifle or just use my 308.

223 is small you know, around 3grams bullet and 308 around 10-12grams. Dont know if I will get too many runners with 223?
    try 60grn noslers seem to be ok, doug,
    DONT START

If you reload and have a rifle with a faster twist than 1 in 12 ins. try Hornady 60grn. soft points, seriously good.

Like everything, the right type of bullet in the right place for its job and you'll be fine. There's a lot to be said for firing 'just enough' cartridge for the chosen species. It will certainly enable you to watch your bullets hit home much easier than with a .308. The reduced noise is a bonus too.

That said, the .308 will be suitable for much more than just roe. But then who ever complained about needing more rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    The 223 is fine for roe - as a chambering in a rifle (local laws permitting) - the only problem I see is the availability of expanding bullets that won't fragment on entry. Most 224 bullets seem to be varmint style & not good for penetration. The last thing you want is a runner caused by the bullet disintegrating if it hits a shoulder bone on entry or lots of bits of lead spread through the carcase.
    I'd be interested to hear others recommendations for thick jacketed bullets around 55 grains for that reason.(my 223 has a 1 in 12 barrel twist so I can't go above 60 grain bullets with it).

Ian
    Tried PPU?