Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone use Neatsfoot oil for boots or other leather?

anyone use Neatsfoot oil for boots or other leather?

If so, ever had a problem with mildew growing on anything that you have stored away? Nothing to do with moisture I think.... Just noticed today a saddle and couple pair of boots that I haven't had out in a while have a kind of blue/green fuzzy mold/mildew on them. I have only used the neatsfoot oil on them... Everything else gets saddle soap and and a beeswax based polish and is fine (all stored in the same place)... Guessing it's something with the NF oil and wondering if anyone else noticed the problem.

Thanks, Dave

same here with cartridge belts / and boots doug
    DONT START

I used to use it regularly on leather jackets back in the 70's, an attempt to keep the rain out.
    Trouble is that like many oil's it goes off, even smells rank, and in the end rots stitches and goes mouldy.
    These day I use bee's wax and linseed oil, or just good old dubbin.

Neil.

The tin just emptied has been ok from start to finish, got a new tin today, hopefully that will be the same as its predecessor ?

I have only ever used it on my tracking leads, doesn't last too long on those with the use, never had a problem SO FAR

ATB

Phil

SD Regular
    I use ko-cho-line and still have a big plastic tub I bought maybe twenty years plus ago. Never had a mildew problem.

Product Range >> Leather Care >> KO-CHO-LINE :: CARR MARTIN

I got a bottle of neatsfoot oil off the internet.. have used it on several leather rifle slings and a pair of shoes to soften the leather. Worked really well . No sign of any mould after 9 months.

David.

This sounds like damp , I have had this problem with leather boots that I had to leave in a porch this winter. I think that it is wise to examine leather goods regularly for this sort of problem, and for drying out and cracking.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Trouble is that like many oil's it goes off, even smells rank, and in the end rots stitches and goes mouldy.
    These day I use bee's wax and linseed oil, or just good old dubbin.

Neil.
    +1
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Neats foot is made from calves' or young cattle lower leg bones and feet (not hooves).

Neat is an old word for cow.

So, totally organic, high in fat and natural oils, so will go rancid in time if allowed to remain moist.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".