Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Weight of roe.

Body Weight of roe.

The areas where I stalk arnt renowned for huge body weights nor antler
    growth, however given the unprecedented mild weather throughout this
    winter I think we might be in for some very healthy birth rates and body weighs
    this year.

I shot a couple of young does recently and both were fat as lard.
    Bearing in mind we will soon officially be into spring, the general condition
    of the deer i'm currently seeing are excellent.

Anyone else seeing similar ?
    Last edited by Cadex; 04-03-2014 at 18:29.

The two young doe's I had this week were well muscled but were not particularly fat, whilst weve not had any hard frost this winter the flooding may have had a limiting factor, I did notice that a fair few bucks are clean now

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    The areas where I stalk arnt renowned for huge body weights nor antler
    growth, however given the unprecedented mild weather throughout this
    winter I think we might be in for some very healthy birth rates and body weighs
    this year.

I shot a couple of young does recently and both were fat as lard.
    Bearing in mind we will soon officially be into spring, the general condition
    of the deer i'm currently seeing is excellent.

Anyone else seeing similar ?

I have put quite a few followers through the chiller in the last couple of weeks and their weights have been noticeably low, most have been 18-20lbs. On the other hand I have seen a lot of medal class bucks at the same time including some real monsters so it hasn't been a bad winter for everything.

We've had it wet and windy and i think this knocks the condition off, especially the roe, more than the cold, although the noticeable thing this year is the grass has been still growing right through the winter

Moose

Sold a Doe carcass to local game dealer on Friday weighed in at 15 kilo, without head and feet.

Myself and tika.308 have been seeing good numbers of healthy animals recently including a doe at 40 lbs and a follower doe at 25 lbs

Of the deer I've put into the dealer recently, they've ranged from an 8kg follower with a sternum lI'll a knife blade (and heavy fluke) to a 15.5kg doe fat as butter.

Novice

I've seen some really big bucks this year.i wasn't seeing any bucks up until 3 weeks ago any they have all seemed to appear at once. Doe's and followers haven't been any different. Last week has 2 doe's at 15 kgs and 5 followers between 10 and 13 kgs.

seen a dozen or more does in three different areas all big healthy and one enormous buck , doug
    DONT START

I had a doe not that long ago that tipped the scales a touch over 35lb, minus
    head legs and gralloch.

Hardly remarkable for some areas I agree, but good for my ground and also good for the time of year.