Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAC Clarification?

Regular Poster

FAC Clarification?

Hello all,
    Can anyone clarify where I stand?
    I applied for my fac last year and everything was approved without issue. However, next september I am off to manchester for uni so my question is this; if my guns are stored at my parents house, which I will obviously be visiting reasonably regularly (heaven forbid that I have to do my own laundry!) but will not be my permanent address do I have to inform the police of a change of address? I will be living in halls next year so obviously I cannot take the guns with me so I am a little uncertain as to where I stand. The guns will still be secure as they will still be locked up and only I have access to the keys but I obviously want to remain within the law. Currently only I have a certificate in the house but do people think it would be easier for my father to apply for a certificate and for me to transfer guns over to him (in which case I will have to sell everything except for the shotguns as he has no justification for my rifles) or will the police be understanding?
    Thanks,
    Alistair

When I went to University in Manchester I left my guns (only shotguns at that time) locked up at my parents' house, which I then still considered 'home'.
    Given that I lived in Hall, I suppose it was also my permanent address at that time: but actually, having finished at the 'Varisty, I into moved into other (rented) accom in Manchester, Barnsley and then Stockport - in none of which I needed or wanted my guns, which therefore remained at my parents' house. The police were quite happy with that arrangement.

If in doubt, discuss with your FLD: but I suspect they'll be happy with the guns staying where they are.

+1 and any way theres too many guns there already
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    +1 and any way theres too many guns there already
    and that's just in my study.

Regular Poster
    Thanks very much gents. Yeah I thought that may be the case, but the police guidance is, predictably, unhelpful or nonexistent. In manchesters defence only Moss side is iffy (according to a mate who went last year) and the student areas are actually fairly hospitable. Plus Mancunians do a mean curry!

i know my guess would be leave well enough alone, as it isnt permanent no harm done, if your worried give joe feo a ring hes ok,
    DONT START

I haven't looked at the recent guidance but there used to be mention of such a situation that you describe Alistair. Your parents home will still be regarded as your home address while you are at university.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Thanks very much gents. Yeah I thought that may be the case, but the police guidance is, predictably, unhelpful or nonexistent. In manchesters defence only Moss side is iffy (according to a mate who went last year) and the student areas are actually fairly hospitable. Plus Mancunians do a mean curry!
    Manchester is a fine city.

My kids still consider my house home decades after leaving! They come in, straight to the fridge....sit down.....telly channel changed....

Seriously, I agree with the above comments. Any student accommodation is only for term time and is always going to be temporary for the duration of any course you're taking, or less. The police I expect will much prefer your firearms to be at the parents' house, which I expect will be much safer.

Alastair,

Your full time permanent address will still be your parents (as this was where you were staying) legal address whilst you are at Uni.

Speak to your Firearms dept and be assured.

Stan