When do you case trim?

When should you Case Trim?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monkey Spanker

After recently acquiring a Hornady case trimmer. It seems that the pilot will only fit into a case which hasn't been neck sized which got me thinking! When should you case trim, and why?
MS

Last edited:
Its the wrong pilot then ms, trimming is done after fl sizing,trim so case fits into the chamber and uniformity, you can set trimmer up to take minimal amount off so the case doesnt grow so much on firing,neck sized cases wont trim.

Last edited:
i always trim >>>>after<<<< neck sizing as i feel that the right way, but that strange how it wont fit

what exact model you using ????

I usually trim on a Wednesday night about 8:30pm :D

Seriously though .... I always de-prime, clean, inspect, full length size then trim. I then re-inspect while chamfering and de-burring.

Its the wrong pilot then ms, trimming is done after fl sizing,trim so case fits into the chamber and uniformity, you can set trimmer up to take minimal amount off so the case doesnt grow so much on firing,neck sized cases wont trim.

Exactly. And trim at every loading.~Muir

I measure the cases after full length resizing and if they need trimmed, I trim them. If they don't need trimmed, I don't trim them. Regards JCS

After recently acquiring a Hornady case trimmer. It seems that the pilot will only fit into a case which hasn't been neck sized

This is not my experience with the Hornady trimmer: I wonder whether your neck-sizing thing is especially narrow, or something like that?

Just out of interest, what cal is this a problem with?

After sizing and it is done every time a case is reloaded.
I have had the too small to get the trimmer in with a Lee Classic loader, Lee replaced the sizing part as it was too tight.

Neil. :)

Always, always, always AFTER FL SIZING. As others say if the pilot then won't fir it is either too large in diameter or you are using a FL die without an neck expander plug (think Wilson type dies) or you have a brand of cases with exceptionally thick case necks or you have "normal" cases but they have suffered brass flow into the neck area from use, I think, of RCBS X-Dies.

After every resizing, most of the time nothing needs taken off the cases

Al

Same hereRanger.

With regard to not being able to get the Lee trim guide rod in some cases as Hornet has mentioned I have a similar problem when I use my Lee full length resizing die on .308 cases. I don't have any problem when I use the collet resizing die though and neck tension on cases loaded with the collet die isn't an issue before anyone suggests that I am not sizing the neck sufficiently.
The necks of cases run through the F/L sizing die definately seem under size with a very marked reduction in neck size which is confirmed by measurement. It doesn't really cause me a problem after using them for the first time in my rifle but I have come to the conclusion that my F/L die is slightly under size. I have had an issue with a 8x57 Lee die previously being slightly out of spec and had to be replaced, suggesting to me that their quality control may not be as good as others. Still what do you expect for the money.

Last edited:
Well I think that must be the most unanimous poll I've ever seen on here! I may be worrying too much however!:oops:
I have only so far offered up a fired case which has not been cleaned or sized yet. I found it too be fairly 'snug' which got me thinking that it may well not fit at all once sized. I guess there will be some sooty dirt which won't help. It's a .280 AI case (.284/7mm) so I'm definitely using the right pilot. I'm guessing that resizing the case could even stretch the neck as it is pulled out of the die? That would be good reason alone to do it after. Also, does neck sizing reduce the whole neck (ie parallel) or does it just taper the end in? Something I've always wondered!
MS

The case should pass OK once sized if your die has an expander ball. The good news is that if your Hornady 7mm pilot doesn't work just buy and use a Hornady .270" pilot and it will. However sometimes these problems with pilots can indicate excessively thick case necks which if you have a tight chamber throat isn't good. Then it is down the route of outside neck turning. Which is extra faffing that we could all do without.

The case should pass OK once sized if your die has an expander ball. The good news is that if your Hornady 7mm pilot doesn't work just buy and use a Hornady .270" pilot and it will. However sometimes these problems with pilots can indicate excessively thick case necks which if you have a tight chamber throat isn't good. Then it is down the route of outside neck turning. Which is extra faffing that we could all do without.
The set comes with a .270 pilot! :thumb: The necks do like quite thick. It is Nosler standard .280 which I've now fire-formed to .280 AI. Thanks for the advice!
MS:tiphat:

I only trim 4 times when the case exceeds SAAMI published dimensions and discard the cases that become over size thereafter. I clean the fired cases before and after trimming & chamfering, nothing even remotely grubby goes into the resizing dies.

atb Tim

Last edited:
I measure the cases after full length resizing and if they need trimmed, I trim them. If they don't need trimmed, I don't trim them. Regards JCS

+1

I sort them based on 5thou under maximum length (which is in my case about the same as 5 thou longer than the trim to length): basically keep them in a 5thou window.
Saves time....

Back