Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a stainless flue liner for a woodburner?

Do I really need a stainless flue liner for a woodburner?

After living 20 years in a house with 3 fireplaces I finally got around to thinking about installing a woodburner.

The house was built in 1994 and the inglenook that I want to use is fitted with a 225mm/ 9 inch clay flue pipe. The pipe sections are installed the correct way around (female end uppermost). The stove has a 150mm / 6 inch outlet.

So far I have visited 4 woodburner dealers.

2 of them have told me that I definitely need a stainless flue liner. They are quoting between 1000 - 1800 to install the liner and stove.

This in in addition to the cost of the stove which is 1000.

The other 2 shops are saying that the clay liner itself will be fine so installation will only be around 400 - 500.

I don't want tar and gunge dripping out from around the register plate but also I don't want to pay over 1000 more for something I might not need.

Either 2 are cowboys or the other 2 are trying to rip me off.

Advice please!

You don't need a liner if yours is intact . Ours is years old but sound and is easy to sweep , which isn't often as I mostly burn hardwood properly seasoned.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

You dont need a liner if the chimney is in good order and the diameter meets the stove manufacturers specs , to find out if your chimney is in good order get it swept by a HETAS approved sweep , he will give you a certificate stating chimney condition , we had a stove from this company Stone Fireplaces | Stone Fireplace Mantels | Capital Fireplaces , liner not req .

You do not definitely need a liner, but a professional chimney sweep will sweep, survey and smoke test your existing flue for about 60 - 80.

Then you can make an informed decision.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Just installed my own flue liner, not too tricky if the chimney is fairly straight and you have a roof ladder, but you need building control signoff. Theres a useful website called something like Stovefitter which has links to all the regs.
    You are rihht you may not need a liner but just a register plate and stove pipe but whatever you do ut needs building control or hetas sign off or you wont be insured.

Echo the chimney sweep. They know their stuff and often hetas registered and could fit it for you if you need. If you have a liner it is safer burning softwood and crappy old offcuts with paint on too

The fireplace has never had a fire in it since the house was built in '94 so the clay pipe should be as good as new.

A pal of mine has i think 3 full lengths of stainless flow for a wood burner might even be a rear tar catcher bottom bit ! for sale, if you wish me to find out cost etc drop me a pm feller

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmedod.one View Post
    After living 20 years in a house with 3 fireplaces I finally got around to thinking about installing a woodburner.

The house was built in 1994 and the inglenook that I want to use is fitted with a 225mm/ 9 inch clay flue pipe. The pipe sections are installed the correct way around (female end uppermost). The stove has a 150mm / 6 inch outlet.

So far I have visited 4 woodburner dealers.

2 of them have told me that I definitely need a stainless flue liner. They are quoting between 1000 - 1800 to install the liner and stove.

This in in addition to the cost of the stove which is 1000.

The other 2 shops are saying that the clay liner itself will be fine so installation will only be around 400 - 500.

I don't want tar and gunge dripping out from around the register plate but also I don't want to pay over 1000 more for something I might not need.

Either 2 are cowboys or the other 2 are trying to rip me off.

Advice please!

If it has been insulated your existing liner sounds fine, I had to enquire into this before we went over to woodburning for all our DHW/CH/Cooking requirements. If it is not insulated you may get condensate and draught problems. Problems with tar etc. are a sign of improperly seasoned wood, we aim for a moisture content of 11% - 16 %. We never burn coal on our wood burners.

atb Tim

For what its worth, I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I had the option of liner or use the existing clay. I chose to use the existing clay. Three years later no problems. The liner route after pricing it isn't that expensive if you can do it yourself. Enjoy your stove!