Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home loads

home loads

hi guys and girls does anybody in wiltshire area do home loads ????

Been home loading for twenty years. Not a complete expert but very happy with the results it brings me.

Im thinking of starting it up and wanna know what it cost for equipment and what i need as i have a cz 527 .222 and app it works out a lot cheaper doing home loads and wanna know how hard it is to actually do them

Quote Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
    Im thinking of starting it up and wanna know what it cost for equipment and what i need as i have a cz 527 .222 and app it works out a lot cheaper doing home loads and wanna know how hard it is to actually do them
    As simple or as technically difficult as you want it to be. If you can follow a cookie recipe you can probably reload good ammunition with relatively basic tools.~Muir

Last edited by jack; 06-03-2014 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
    hi guys and girls does anybody in wiltshire area do home loads ????
    Why don't you simply come out with it and ask if there are any site members in the Warminster area that would be kind enough to spend an hour with you and show you what's involved and how its done Kevin. I'm sure there will be several that would be only too happy to do so.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Kevin, If it is only the .222 you are thinking of reloading for, then consider getting some PPU and trying that first.
    I used to reload for the .222 but when I found PPU at under 10 a box and it was good to go in my rifle, a Remmington 700 Bdl, I don't bother to reload it any more.
    The brass is good to keep as well just incase I have to go back to reloading in the future.

right fair enough guys i think i will ask about the local area and see if anyone can show me whats needed and hows its done properly im using remmington accutip atm and ther 22.00 a box it cost me 44.00 today thanks very much though guys much appreciated

Crikey Kev, for less than 44.00 you could have got four boxes of PPU ammo and I am sure it would do the same job as you do with your Remmy accutips.

Try PPU first. Worked ok in my .222 Tikka but then i got into the reloading. Your more than welcome to come on over to Gloucester and have a play. im not the perfectionist and i do not have all the fancy kit but the basics i do have will load me a 10mm group at 100meters if i pull the trigger at the right time.

The basics are very easy, no need to over complicate things on a 222

all the best

Phil