Thread: New member in Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire

New member in Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire

Hello there,
    I live in Oxford, but my parents farm in Gloucestershire. I'm now in my late 20s and have been shooting since I was about 11, finally getting my SGC and FAC a couple of years ago. I currently have a 22LR on my FAC, but am hoping to apply for a .243 to be added to it at some point in 2010.

A few of my friends stalk, but I haven't been along yet. I am applying for a .243 mainly for foxes, but with the aim to slowly get into stalking over the next few years, hence I want to go for a .243 rather than a 22-250 etc. I'm starting to think about doing my DSC1 in order to support my FAC modification, and that's how I stumbled across this site.

Welcome to the site. I myself have not been here long but it's a wealth of information and knowledge. Reading through the older threads is very enlightening.

As for the .243 I would also look into the 6.5x55 cartridge as it's a very versatile dual purpose cartridge. There are also a core of 25-06 users here and it seems a good cartridge but I have only just started playing with that one.

Hi Oliver good to see you found the site, a broad spread of really useful information is to be found here. Shame you couldn't come & beat for us this season.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter
    As for the .243 I would also look into the 6.5x55 cartridge as it's a very versatile dual purpose cartridge. There are also a core of 25-06 users here and it seems a good cartridge but I have only just started playing with that one.
    Thanks for suggesting some alternative calibres. I was initially thinking of just going for some sort of .22 centrefire, and then I realised I may as well try for a deer legal round to future-proof myself with my first centrefire, so just thought of a .243. I'll definitely do some research into those other calibres as well.
    Cheers!

.243 will do you just fine fella ,find ammunition anywhere ,easy to reload for and kill anything your likely to come across in this country , Plenty of choice of rifle, my choice is sako, but there are plenty of choice dependant on the depth of your pockets . welcome to the forum. atb Brough.