Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a Parker Hale T4 (Target) What to check?

Buying a Parker Hale T4 (Target) What to check?

About to pull the trigger (sorry) on a Parker Hale T4. What to check?

Thansk.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    About to pull the trigger (sorry) on a Parker Hale T4. What to check?

Thansk.
    Your sanity.
    Buy a Sako
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Bore - with a borescope
    Bedding - all in order and adequately tight.
    Sights - if you want it as a target-rifle target rifle (if you know what I mean), does it have its iron sights fore and aft?
    Last edited by Dalua; 06-03-2014 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Your sanity.
    Buy a Sako
    Ok - that made me giggle

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Your sanity.
    Buy a Sako
    Feel free to consider that on offer on your .308 for the matching price of 350.....

I'd post a link to the rifle, but the last time I did that it got snaffled....

Also, does it have a .303 magazine or a 7.62 one? Occasionally seen them with .303, which is fine as a platform for single-loading. However, a real 7.62 mag is quite expensive, and there are non-original ones about which are not so good.
    Also seen with .303 extractor claw. 7.62 claw can be got, but prob now also rare. The .303 claw should extract OK, but probably not much more than that.

Now that's good info. It's sold as a 7.62 with a .303 mag....though I will only be single loading atm, it would be useful to have an effective mag....

I keep remembering bits - the forward handstop/sling-swivel for example.
    Please feel free to pm me further details if you'd like me to have a look - not that I'm an expert. However, I've already got one so am not after another!

The final thing that occurs to me is that the No4 conversions were intended to deal with 7.62 NATO 145gr bullets leaving at about 2750fps. My experience of using a T4 for TR for the last two years or so is that the proportion of bullets arriving pointed-end first or supersonic drops off sharply beyond 800yds. Having said that, bullets arriving sideways have more chance of cutting the line!
    Had I thougt about it harder at the time, I'd probably have bought Mauser-actioned rifle that could be stoked up a bit more - something like this http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Firerms%20For%20Sale/targete.htm
    or perhaps a BSA CFT or TX1200.
    Last edited by Dalua; 06-03-2014 at 22:59.

Proof marks. The NRA and Bisley now insist that any No4 conversion is proofed to 20 tons thanks to idiots overloading the Nato cartridge.

The bedding on the Lee Enfield is different to any other rifle the important bit it seems is the fit at the draw in the fore stock.

Check the trigger has not been butchered and has a two stage pull with proper let off.

Condition of the throat and bore including the crown. Condition and security of the sights, check for slop and any damage on them.

Check which model No4 action it's built on. No4 Mk1/2 is good the Mk2 is betetr. these have the trigger mounted to the receiver and not the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Proof marks. The NRA and Bisley now insist that any No4 conversion is proofed to 20 tons thanks to idiots overloading the Nato cartridge.
    Good point. Mine's proofed to 19tons - but I would in any case keep the load to 147gr bullet at 2750fps. I'm a cautious fellow, though.