Ferreting

Overlay

Hi Guys

Anyone still ferreting.

Clearing out an earth in the middle of a large field, more (8) bolters than grown (7) rabbits come to the nets, ending up taking the nets up and rifled em from a distance they came out but didn't bolt just stayed few feet from the entrance.

probably last day out pugging now, season has not been good due to the weather, some of the rabbits were half grown, kent has had its fair share of water and it's not been cold. Bit of an odd season hereabouts :rolleyes:

Whats it been like elsewhere ?

Atb

phil

Last edited:
I can only think the torrential rain has caused more mayhem than known, last couple of months has been dreadful all round.

I sat through 5 hrs of rain for a 30 min break in the weather, three foxes came straight out, just seem they just layed up listening for it to stop then ventured out, no rush.

I guess the rabbits just done the same, battened down the hatches doing what they do naturally, all the ones I got were in a good and fat condition, must have been out sometime or somewhere, perhaps that got by on what was under cover. ?

mixy appeared on the isles late last year and i was still finding rabbits out on the hill hunched up with walled up eyes this week ,so it looks like the ferrets will be spending plenty of time in there hutch, we have had a huge rabbit population but mixy is a sad way to sort it .

Living in mid kent I have only seen one mixy rabbit this year and that was at the finish of the harvest.

very strange old time at the moment

Hi Phillip
went last Saturday with a retired keeper just around the hedgerows near the house ended up with a decent bag(27) but lots of young ones showing we wouldn't have been going if there wasn't so much rabbit damage in gardens and allotments ,
ps been using the .22 shooting great :) thanks again mate

Worst season I can remember since mixy first arrived in the fifties. There's been a dramatic drop in numbers due to mixy and VHD. Rabbits are breeding here but strangely have picked up dead youngsters (possibly VHD) but not convinced as there are old rabbits still around.
the problem is that if numbers drop too low the vermin will get on top of them and it can take years for numbers to recover. Bit of a pain really.

Hi Phillip
went last Saturday with a retired keeper just around the hedgerows near the house ended up with a decent bag(27) but lots of young ones showing we wouldn't have been going if there wasn't so much rabbit damage in gardens and allotments ,
ps been using the .22 shooting great :) thanks again mate

hi jimbo

glad the 22 has worked out ok, I have shot some great groups with it, nice rabbiting rifle

ATB

phil

Ps. The rabbits are coming out again in reasonable numbers, not as bad as last year ( or as good :)). But the lull in numbers is definitely picking up nicely

Hi Guys

Anyone still ferreting.

Clearing out an earth in the middle of a large field, more (8) bolters than grown (7) rabbits come to the nets, ending up taking the nets up and rifled em from a distance they came out but didn't bolt just stayed few feet from the entrance.

probably last day out pugging now, season has not been good due to the weather, some of the rabbits were half grown, kent has had its fair share of water and it's not been cold. Bit of an odd season hereabouts :rolleyes:

Whats it been like elsewhere ?

Atb

phil

Got these last Sunday....called it quits till November...
001_zps6a34f90f.jpg

Tim.243

Tim, are they '58 pattern poncho rolls holding your long nets together?? If yes that's a genius bit of recycling!!

We had moderate ferreting season mostly to wet but still caught a few and also had a bonus fox which livened things up a bit :rolleyes:

Back