Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is accuracy loss real?

is accuracy loss real?

A query for anyone with wisdom and experience...

...you see a lot written about declines in accuracy as a consequence of wear to barrels as they get used - especially with regard to the hotter calibres.

Does anyone have real experience of this happening? And not at a bench rest level, but at a level where it is noticeable during every day stalking by an every day stalker?

What sort of round count does it ocurr over? What magnitude is the effect? Can you be certain that any loss of accuracy is to do with the barrel, and not something else - like stock/action fit loosening or whatever?

I'm just curious as to what empirical evidence is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    A query for anyone with wisdom and experience...

...you see a lot written about declines in accuracy as a consequence of wear to barrels as they get used - especially with regard to the hotter calibres.

Does anyone have real experience of this happening? And not at a bench rest level, but at a level where it is noticeable during every day stalking by an every day stalker?

What sort of round count does it ocurr over? What magnitude is the effect? Can you be certain that any loss of accuracy is to do with the barrel, and not something else - like stock/action fit loosening or whatever?

I'm just curious as to what empirical evidence is out there.

I know a lad who has over 5000 home loads through his .243 and its still going strong.
    If well cleaned and looked after I suspect it would amaze us how many shots it would take before a noticeable decline in accuracy occurs.

Back in the day, I had the gunsmith fail my rifles due to barrel wear (270). On each occasion he would ask if I had noticed any difference in accuracy, my answer was alway, no!
    The only time, that I ever experienced in accuracy was when I had problems with the woodwork touching the barrel (Sauer &Kricco).
    when looking down the barrel, you could see the evidence of wear, pitting etc. But in the field, I didn't notice it.

Established Poster
    Hi Mungo,

I've been wondering the exact same thing since I started looking into stalking and reading posts on this site about barrels being 'shot out' after a few thousand rounds. My experience is not with stalking but with competition shooting in the Army. I can say that I used the same 7.62mm SLR for three years running and, as far as I'm aware, the barrel was never changed. In that time I estimate I fired at least 60,000 rounds through it in practice and competitions and could still hit a fig. 11 'running man' target (5ft by 2.5 foot I seem to recall) 9/10 times at 600m with open iron sights. I could also put most shots from 800 yds into a 4ft circle. Zeroing at 100m often produced groups of less than 1.5". So, if I had the same rifle today, I would be confident that I could hit a deer kill zone, with open sights, at 'normal' stalking ranges.

Nick

The accuracy went on my Tikka .222 595 went virtually overnight. One minute it was shooting great (regular 1/2" groups) the next it was grouping around 2".
    I had put at least 10 -12,000 rounds through it over a 12 year period but what suddenly killed it was shooting 50 rounds in quick succession at the H4H shoot when I loaned it to a number of other shooters and we all shot one after the other. Perhaps if I hadn't done this I would still have it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Not always.
    I have a BSA Light Express Rifle in 303 dated 1900. There is ammost no rifling for the first 2" of the barrel and the rifling that is left is somewhat brown and round. Shoots Remington and Winchester 180 grain RN as good as I can hold at 100M. My 1888 J-bore Mauser Sporter is a superb shooter despite evidencing heavy use. I'm sure there are exceptions but I have too many early 1900's rifles that still shoot small groups to worry about this.~Muir

Interesting.

So, assuming stock/action/barrel fit is good and stable, what do people know ACTUALLY hurts practical accuracy?

Heat is the biggest killer of barrels. Magnums, and that includes the .22-250 and .243, will burn out the through faster than normal cartridges, simple because they are burning more powder = more heat.

Competition shooters, and military armorers, notice a fall off in accuracy at 5,000 rounds. F/TR shooters can tell you exactly how many rounds their barrels last with .284 Winchester, 6.5-284, and 7mm SAUM.

Some of the harder barrels do last longer, if not abused. I have had armorers tell me they did not see accuracy start to go on Steyr SSG-69s until 20,000 rounds.

Like Muir, I have seen an Enfield with a dark bore shoot military rounds into a sub MOA group with open sights. It had good rifling and throat.

So assuming 'normal' recreational stalking use (ie. very seldom more than 1 or two shots taken in rapid succession), plus 'normal' cleaning (say rod and patches with solvent every 20 or so shots), what sort longevity would you expect out of a .243 or a .308?

At least 5,000 rounds.

A sudden fall off in accuracy is usually due to copper fouling. use a good copper remover, not a rough brushing.