Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirment home wanted for one of my Picking up Labradors

Retirment home wanted for one of my Picking up Labradors

Anyone know of a family or person looking for a labrador, that is going to be retired from picking up.
    A wonderfull and inteligent labrador bitch, yellow
    Looking for a permanant home
    If you can help, please pm me

Regards

TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

there was a guy on here asking for just the exact thing ! it was for his mother in law ,just for company and rural walks ,she also had another dog , cant remember who it was though , maybe someone else can , good luck with her .

That seems a bit sad - rather like selling your Granny?
    Surely you should be paying back some of that loyalty by keeping her until the end?
    I'm not sure I could do that.
    Good luck though, I hope she gets to spend her last days well.
    MS

my thoughts exactly if i was feeling polite.never understand why people can do this ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That seems a bit sad - rather like selling your Granny?
    Surely you should be paying back some of that loyalty by keeping her until the end?
    I'm not sure I could do that.
    Good luck though, I hope she gets to spend her last days well.
    MS

I don't know really, with proper working dogs it will often break their hearts being left behind so is sometimes better to let them go to a nice retirement home where they will be mollycoddled to their hearts content for the rest for their days.

It also allows space for the up coming dogs.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea and not always the best option but im sure the bloke has thought this through and isn't just doing it on a whim!

There is a guy in our village that has had 'several' dogs over the years that I have known him and they always seem to be changing every so many years.
    It turns out he takes on dogs from a company that re homes old dogs during their last couple of years of life.
    They are nearly always Rotties, German Sheppards or Staffies.
    It isn't something I could do but he does it and always has two, he is out every day walking them on the same route each day twice a day come rain or shine.
    As he passes my place, if I am there in the front, he will always stop and have a chat and the dogs are really friendly but not always friendly to look at.
    It is easy to see the dogs are old by their grey faces and stance but they always seem happy when out with him and always seem glad to be made a fuss of by me.
    His story is that it would be unfair to have a young dog as he would not be able to keep up with it and he's not sure how long he has, so a dog with a life expectancy of say twelve to fifteen years may be left alone if anything were to happen to him.
    So what he does is, he takes dogs that are already twelve to fifteen years old, slow enough for him to keep up with and is happy to let them enjoy their last years at a more slower pace, warm bungalow with regular food and health checks.
    The company he gets them from stand any vets bills and deal with them during their final stages of life.
    Like I have said already, it isn't something I could do but he does, he said he is also sad when one's time comes but then he looks forward to having another, he always takes on two at a time so I reckon he is doing a good job both for himself and the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    There is a guy in our village that has had 'several' dogs over the years that I have known him and they always seem to be changing every so many years.
    It turns out he takes on dogs from a company that re homes old dogs during their last couple of years of life.
    They are nearly always Rotties, German Sheppards or Staffies.
    It isn't something I could do but he does it and always has two, he is out every day walking them on the same route each day twice a day come rain or shine.
    As he passes my place, if I am there in the front, he will always stop and have a chat and the dogs are really friendly but not always friendly to look at.
    It is easy to see the dogs are old by their grey faces and stance but they always seem happy when out with him and always seem glad to be made a fuss of by me.
    His story is that it would be unfair to have a young dog as he would not be able to keep up with it and he's not sure how long he has, so a dog with a life expectancy of say twelve to fifteen years may be left alone if anything were to happen to him.
    So what he does is, he takes dogs that are already twelve to fifteen years old, slow enough for him to keep up with and is happy to let them enjoy their last years at a more slower pace, warm bungalow with regular food and health checks.
    The company he gets them from stand any vets bills and deal with them during their final stages of life.
    Like I have said already, it isn't something I could do but he does, he said he is also sad when one's time comes but then he looks forward to having another, he always takes on two at a time so I reckon he is doing a good job both for himself and the dogs.

Good informative post. Seems a win , win situation.

That's sound thinking on the guys part .... Very unselfish .....

never heard of companies or charities or the like doing that

I would do that myself I think .... Would be hard but you know your doing your own wee bit to help.

long shot but any chance you could ask him the charity / company's name ??

paul

You could try the Labrador Lifeline Trust.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.