Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualifications---Should they be time limited

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Qualifications---Should they be time limited

I have recently decided to update my qualifications.
    A lot of my qualifications date from the early 90's and early 00's and NONE include DSC qualifications.
    I took DSC1 last year and passed with a minimum of fuss and not having to retake the Wild game Meat Regs as I had passed it in a separate course in 2004.
    I have started now along the road to DSC2 and have 1x ICR completed and hope to complete another tomorrow morning.

Having done my qualifications along time ago, I was surprised at how much I had forgotten and that I am not to humble to say is why I currently do not have 2x ICR's completed.

My question therefore is should DSC2 be time limited, requiring you to take a refresher course every 5-10 years. I know that chainsaw certificates run out and require the same.

Having lit the fuse I shall now don my hard hat and retire ( 1st time using that emocion)
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Yes, but "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    Quite. LANTRA?

Their bank managers most likely
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I have recently decided to update my qualifications.
    A lot of my qualifications date from the early 90's and early 00's and NONE include DSC qualifications.
    I took DSC1 last year and passed with a minimum of fuss and not having to retake the Wild game Meat Regs as I had passed it in a separate course in 2004.
    I have started now along the road to DSC2 and have 1x ICR completed and hope to complete another tomorrow morning.

Having done my qualifications along time ago, I was surprised at how much I had forgotten and that I am not to humble to say is why I currently do not have 2x ICR's completed.

My question therefore is should DSC2 be time limited, requiring you to take a refresher course every 5-10 years. I know that chainsaw certificates run out and require the same.

Having lit the fuse I shall now don my hard hat and retire ( 1st time using that emocion)
    Don't think it's a bad idea . Maybe some sort of continuing professional development to keep abreast
    of legislation changes, best practice etc

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Their bank managers most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Don't think it's a bad idea . Maybe some sort of continuing professional development to keep abreast
    of legislation changes, best practice etc
    i have enough cpd to deal with in work without bringing it into my hobbies.

yay lets vote for another gravy train to make people feel good about themselves while handing over lots of dosh on a regular rather than one time basis

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    yay lets vote for another gravy train to make people feel good about themselves while handing over lots of dosh on a regular rather than one time basis
    Haha, your maybe right.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post

i have enough cpd to deal with in work without bringing it into my hobbies.
    So do I, its never fun is it . . The only thing I would say on a more serious note
    is .. qualifications and potentially CPD is something being pushed through
    at the highest levels.. I can foresee a time in the not to distant future when
    there will be no such thing (on paper) as a hobby stalker.

Everyone shooting in syndicates for forestry companies will be qualified
    deer controllers, it's already that on FC, and the rest are following suit.

To be honest with you I think there are more important aspects to this than re-qualification. There is no system to feedback poorly presented carcases tagged by a level 2 holder. There appears to be no means of removing the qualification once gained. Once you have your level 2 you have it for life.

That is the crazy aspect of the system.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.