Qualifications---Should they be time limited

teyhan1

I have recently decided to update my qualifications.
A lot of my qualifications date from the early 90's and early 00's and NONE include DSC qualifications.
I took DSC1 last year and passed with a minimum of fuss and not having to retake the Wild game Meat Regs as I had passed it in a separate course in 2004.
I have started now along the road to DSC2 and have 1x ICR completed and hope to complete another tomorrow morning.

Having done my qualifications along time ago, I was surprised at how much I had forgotten and that I am not to humble to say is why I currently do not have 2x ICR's completed.

My question therefore is should DSC2 be time limited, requiring you to take a refresher course every 5-10 years. I know that chainsaw certificates run out and require the same.

Having lit the fuse I shall now don my hard hat and retire:popcorn: ( 1st time using that emocion)

I have recently decided to update my qualifications.
A lot of my qualifications date from the early 90's and early 00's and NONE include DSC qualifications.
I took DSC1 last year and passed with a minimum of fuss and not having to retake the Wild game Meat Regs as I had passed it in a separate course in 2004.
I have started now along the road to DSC2 and have 1x ICR completed and hope to complete another tomorrow morning.

Having done my qualifications along time ago, I was surprised at how much I had forgotten and that I am not to humble to say is why I currently do not have 2x ICR's completed.

My question therefore is should DSC2 be time limited, requiring you to take a refresher course every 5-10 years. I know that chainsaw certificates run out and require the same.

Having lit the fuse I shall now don my hard hat and retire:popcorn: ( 1st time using that emocion)

Don't think it's a bad idea . Maybe some sort of continuing professional development to keep abreast
of legislation changes, best practice etc

yay lets vote for another gravy train to make people feel good about themselves while handing over lots of dosh on a regular rather than one time basis:stir:

:rofl:

i have enough cpd to deal with in work without bringing it into my hobbies.

So do I, its never fun is it . . The only thing I would say on a more serious note
is .. qualifications and potentially CPD is something being pushed through
at the highest levels.. I can foresee a time in the not to distant future when
there will be no such thing (on paper) as a hobby stalker.

Everyone shooting in syndicates for forestry companies will be qualified
deer controllers, it's already that on FC, and the rest are following suit.

To be honest with you I think there are more important aspects to this than re-qualification. There is no system to feedback poorly presented carcases tagged by a level 2 holder. There appears to be no means of removing the qualification once gained. Once you have your level 2 you have it for life.

That is the crazy aspect of the system.

To be honest with you I think there are more important aspects to this than re-qualification. There is no system to feedback poorly presented carcases tagged by a level 2 holder. There appears to be no means of removing the qualification once gained. Once you have your level 2 you have it for life.

That is the crazy aspect of the system.

Once you pass your driving test, you also effectively have it for life - unless you F*** Up!
But, you will also retain it even if you don't drive.
As with most skills and associated qualifications, if you remain competent and current, you shouldn't suffer any 'skill fade' and therefore shouldn't require any regular testing. It is an interesting question though, particulary as evidence gathered during the DSC 2 process is only valid for three years. However, DSC 2 is not really relevant to a poorly tagged carcass, as the large game handling certificate is gained form DSC 1!!
Most agencies such as the FC will only employ the services of current people who will also have to demonstrate competency in the form of annual shooting tests etc.
Ensuring that all previously qualified persons keep up to date with changes in rules and regulations would surely be impossible to police?
Refresher courses don't tend to be as involved as gaining the original qualification, so maybe just one DSC 2 stalk every 3 years would suffice?:stir:
Be careful what you wish for as the training providers are always looking for another niche to fill!
MS

I think my question was more to do with people who provide carcasses into the food chain.
You would expect a restaurant to have regular inspections by environmental health, wouldn't you?
The question was never meant to be about a gravy train, because I hate profiteering as much as anybody. It is I guess about staying relevant and up to date.
If we want to stay ahead of any future legislation/training requirements then surely it is best that we as stalkers set the criteria and not some pen pushing civil servant.

Here in Germany a discussion just came up, if you should have to do at least an annual shooting test, which comes along with your annual insurance, to get your hunting license renewed....
I think, thats a good idea, and shouldnt be a problem for anybody being outdoors and using a gun, a killing tool..?
On the other hand its another try from the government to put pressure on the legal firearm holders....
But: I guess, all of us know too many stalkers and shooters out there, who got drifted far away from knowledge and proper experience by their way of stalking, hunting and shooting...:scared:

There is a massive difference between say a driving qualification and one obtained to prove you are competent in deerstalking/food handling.

Whilst driving a vehicle you are effectively being 'policed' every day, as continual bad driving would eventually be reported by other road users or the police themselves. You would only get away with it for a short period of time. Continue to do it and you would be banned.

As a witnessed stalk is only 'witnessed' for that single, one off time, the candidate can return to their normal poor practice the same afternoon when on their own again!!!!!

Thats what a lot of folk don't seem to grasp with these qualifications. They are only as good as the day they were obtained if the candidate is so inclined, as our stalking is done alone with no governance...

£300 for level 1, aprox £1000 for level 2, cost of permissions say £1k/year. What's a weekend doing a retest going to cost????? Welcome to rip off Britain!

Im with you Dragunov whats the financial implications to this ?? I for one would welcome it if it was free as I have no doubt things would improve if it happened but !!!! Feel that it would be the next cash cow and yet another cost factor. Ps..... on this note im still waiting for DMQ 3 to happen as I have bronze silver and awaiting some one to invent the gold !!!!!! Regards
Jimmy
£300 for level 1, aprox £1000 for level 2, cost of permissions say £1k/year. What's a weekend doing a retest going to cost????? Welcome to rip off Britain!

There is a massive difference between say a driving qualification and one obtained to prove you are competent in deerstalking/food handling.

Whilst driving a vehicle you are effectively being 'policed' every day, as continual bad driving would eventually be reported by other road users or the police themselves. You would only get away with it for a short period of time. Continue to do it and you would be banned.

As a witnessed stalk is only 'witnessed' for that single, one off time, the candidate can return to their normal poor practice the same afternoon when on their own again!!!!!

Thats what a lot of folk don't seem to grasp with these qualifications. They are only as good as the day they were obtained if the candidate is so inclined, as our stalking is done alone with no governance...

There is a huge point you are missing here!! You don't need DSC 2 to put deer into the food chain! Unless we are now suggesting that DSC 2 should be the minimum requirement to obtain a large game handling certificate, then the discussion is pointless. You don't even need to have shot a deer to obtain the Large Game Cert on your DSC 1. You could enforce doing DSC 1 every three years, but it would surely be pointless if the candidate had never even processed a single deer?!!
MS

Back