Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamping off the roadside legal ?

Lamping off the roadside legal ?

Out walking the dog and came across a couple of chaps a few nights ago shooting rabbits with a lamp off the roadside on a quiet country lane with a .17hmr , had a quick chat with them and gave the friendly advice not to let the rozzers catch them shooting off the roadside , the shooter replied that as I was a shooter myself I should know that it was okay , I made no argument and moved on , I`m pretty sure he was in the wrong , I thought you had to be at least 50` from the highway ?

Perfectly legal to do so, may not be that wise though.
    The law says (in so many words) that a shot fired within 50 feet of the centre of the road is illegal if hinderance or danger is caused to the road user.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    not from within a vehicle?

They were on foot , not a drive by shooting

Probable use of firearm outside conditions of certificate based upon the fact that they may have permission to shoot the field but not from the theoretical owner of the road!

In my opinion they are committing an offence under S.19 Firearms Act 1968 carrying a firearm in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse- and the lawful authority does not refer to firearm certificates in this section it refers eg. to policemen.

F

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdmatch View Post
    Probable use of firearm outside conditions of certificate based upon the fact that they may have permission to shoot the field but not from the theoretical owner of the road!
    Makes sense , they were asking for trouble in my view.

Keepers on estates in the countryside do the all over the country and it is excepted by the police forces that cover these areas the chaps that do fox control these estates drive along the lanes shooting foxes all the time and no it isn't illegal

A lot of speculation here but insufficient detail in the op to know whether the 'roadside' constituted land owned by the farmer whose field it was next to the road, or whether it was a verge belonging to the owner of the roadway?

I've shot off the verge that belonged to a landowner where I had permission to shoot. The rules about the centre of the road are in my signature below.

I can't see anyone getting permission to shoot from the council on a public road. I know some foxing guys do, but I'm sure it is a technical offence. Whether it is in anyone's interest to prosecute I very much doubt it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.