Under and over poor at ejecting

Trufflehunting

My Under and over is poor at ejecting and it has been since new
took it to the gunshop he replaced the springs, went to the clay ground and it was just the same
Went back to see the chap in the shop who showed me it ejecting snap caps like a good un
He is going to have another look at it for me
Anyone had this problem, your thought please

TH

my browning O/U does this with some brands of cartirdge. try out some others. or like me just live with it.

Andy7mm

I'm with Andy on this one, I had a 1000 cartridges which just would not play ball, on closer inspection they were buldging ever so slightly, causing them to stick in the chamber!

Give a a different brand a go.

My Berreta 20 bore has the same problem, "turbo" springs were fitted and made the issue better, but is fussy with plastic cartridges, 12 bore by the same maker has no issues whatever. deerwarden

The small the cartridge the bigger the issue they expand more when fired and grip into the chamber more.

Very few offer ejecting 410s for this reason. Number of times 410 users will find a brand won't move in their chambers on older guns and need a roof to tap them out.

Have a look at the kickers norm the springs will be ok , what o/u is it! I also carry a chamber brush with me and clean out the chamber after an outing helps reduce the crud build up and the case's grabbing i also use a light oil light such as 'Browning Legia Spray' to aid slick case movement.,sticky cases while in a clay comp are maddening .

Last edited:
Clean the chambers with a Phospher Bronze chamber brush, give them a good soak then a good scrub. Then wipe out and oil as per usual. As Paul O states its a good idea to have a bit of lubricant handy, this wont prevent the problem but offers temporary relief.

A

You have probably already tried this but, check the ejector mechanism is clean, take the barrels off, pull the ejector claws out with your finger nail and give em a good blast with napier or legia, clean of then give then a light oil. The grease on my new browning was like tar and made everything a bit sicky for a while.

If you try everyone's advice and still struggle take it back and keep complaining. My shooting partner took his back a load of times due to chokes not sitting flush gunshop said they were fine. Eventually went back to browning and low and behold they had had a few problems gun came back perfect!
Jon

Have heard of this several times. My Beretta 20g does it sometimes but I generally stop the ejection to save having to collect empties from ground. Gun manufacturers do not always polish the chambers to a smooth finish at manufacture. Try giving the chamber a good clean with a brush and solvent then very light coat of lubricant. Wipe most as you do not want your gun turning into a diesel engine when you fire it. This part of the gun is usually missed/ignored as far as cleaning at end of the day and a sticky build up of crud happens.

You're probably aware of this already, but it's easy to remove the extractor arms completely to clean behind them - just look for the little screw. It shouldn't be done up really tight -just enough to stop it slipping - so don't over-tighten it when you put it back.

However, as you say your gun has been poor at ejecting from new, I expect the advice already given will be more relevant: try a different brand/type of cartridge and clean and lightly lubricate the chambers.

If these measures don't work, then you need to decide how much you like the gun. If its a real "shooter", or even a real "looker", then you may decide to hold on to it, despite the ejection issue. If not, the letters "P" and "X" should perhaps feature in its future...

Back