Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you prefer ffp or sfp

Which do you prefer ffp or sfp

As per title just wondering what guys prefer in a scope first focal plain or second focal plain. Just curious. Maybe you could say why you prefer either or

sfp, I like the reticle to stay the same size.

FFP , allows range finding at any magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by frank666 View Post
    sfp, I like the reticle to stay the same size.

+1

SD Regular
    The one where the reticule stays the same size. I can't fathom what advantage the other gives in having the beast pretty much obscured by the reticule when on a high power magnification...especially if you have to hold over at longer range so you in fact obscure the intended point of impact of your shot...and "range finding" can easily be worked out on a "stays the same size reticule" if you set it at the lowest power and do the working out from that.

So at 100x the gap covers one deer, at 200x two deer and so on.

Easy to work out with a three foot lath of wood at the various distances. Then just remember how many, at the lowest power, fit into the gap at each distance. Like on a basic fixed power military sniper 'scope is used. Half the height of a man's body.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 08-03-2014 at 23:24.

I like both. The TDS reticle has to stay the same size relative to the target, otherwise it doesn't really work. The super-fine ret on the target/vermin scope must stay fine.

For airguns, .22LR and deer however, 6x42 is all that's needed.

For long range small targets SFP is an absolute must.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I like both. The TDS reticle has to stay the same size relative to the target, otherwise it doesn't really work. The super-fine ret on the target/vermin scope must stay fine.

For airguns, .22LR and deer however, 6x42 is all that's needed.
    Swarovski tds scopes are all 2fp

Tikka, you'd need to specify the intended use if you want good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    For long range small targets SFP is an absolute must.

Ian.
    There's FFP designs where line thickness for center cross is e.g. 0.05 MRAD.

At 300y that would be just over 1/2" (around 17/32"), I don't see this could be of hindrance.

Personally I have and use both. I guess I'd prefer FFP if I could design my own reticles and have them installed at no additional cost. That not being the case, I mostly choose SFP, especially because the assortment is much wider.

Traditionally FFP was used for low light shooting. Just recently I acquired a Meopta 3-9x scope with SFP #4, especially for low light shooting. It fits my purposes perfectly since the posts are thick even at 3x magnification. I'm somewhat annoyed with traditional non-illuminated FFP designs since I like to use low magnification to gain FOV, and the reticles are designed to be used at max mag...

One use where I love FFP reticle with frequent hash marks (0.5MRAD in my case) is shooting subsonic with good rest to varying distances. In my case this would be dove hunting with 22LR, 20-100m (lasered). In UK context it could be e.g. bunny bashing but you'd have to know the distances.

Reticle based range finding isn't much use for me since beasts/birds can easily vary 20% in size. That would equal missing or wounding at the distances that range finding was needed at the first place.