Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight for a Modrated rifle?

Ideal weight for a Modrated rifle?

Just wondering what to you consider is the ideal weight for a rifle that is to be fitted with a reflex sound moderator?

The reason I ask is that I know know why the person who had this Parker-Hale 1200C screwcut then sold it ......................... it's darned heavy much heavier than the catalogue lists and no I had not handled the rifle before buying it. I thought it's a P-H 1200 with nice wood on it and I know what the P-H 1200's feel like.

It's not a hill stalking rifle that's for sure now I will have to consider either swopping a rifle or getting a lighter one for walking with ............... Ho Hum .

Now don't get me wrong I am happy with the rifle as it not only looks nice and fits me but it also shoots quite well it's just that with the Wildcat Predator 8 fitted it weighs over 11 lbs and I was not aiming for a bench rest gun So the search is on for a lighter rifle to take the moderator also and at the front of the queue for considration from my stable is an old and beaten BSA 1st Pat Monarch in 270 Win. It's a project that has been sitting in the cabinet awaiting to be done.

The plan so far is to strip the stock steam out the dents and check the bedding fit new swivel studs and re-finish the stock. Clean and check trigger adjustment and I have even been thinking of having it re-barreled.

I am recovering from the heart attack caused by the quotes given so far so I wonder about just threading the muzzle and giving it a go and see how it performs Oh the BSA cost me a whopping £25 a couple of years ago as it looked so tatty. It still shoots fairly well and it only weighs 7lbs 4ozs .

Re: Ideal weight for a Modrated rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter
    Just wondering what to you consider is the ideal weight for a rifle that is to be fitted with a reflex sound moderator?
    Hi Brithunter

Well as light as possible is the short answer I guess. My solution was to get such a rifle, my reasoning was that years ago you would put a 4X32 scope on you Parker Hale and have a combination that weighed less than 8lbs, today with almost all of us using bigger scopes, fitting moderators and bi-pods the all up weight now is over 10lbs for a normal stalking outfit.

Looking for the lightest rifle that was available lead me to the Browning A-Bolt Titanium Mountain rifle. With the help of this site I managed to find one in 243 WSSM. When the rifle was made in this caliber it was based on a 223 length action, mini mauser sized. This saves a bit more weight and knocks ½” of the overall length. This model weighs 5 1/2lbs but it still has a none fluted 22” barrel. (A Sako finlight for comparison weigh 6 1/2lbs with a 19” flute barrel.) The A-Bolt comes in a Bell and Carlson Carberlight stock that has a rubberised finish, the trigger on mine has been rework by one of the UKs top gunsmiths. The Scope is a Swarvoski 8X56 (probably the lightest scopes on the market) the mounts are Aluminum B-Squares Lows. I had to re-profile the front weaver base as the Titanium receiver is a different diameter to the standard A-Bolt to get it to fit, then I lapped the mounts to suit. The Moderator is an old model A-Tec and weighs 500gms your Wildcat should weigh about 200 more.

One of the advantages of the WSSM case over the standard 243 is that I should be able to cut the barrel back to 18” and still be large deer legal.

While I appreciate that a rifle made form modern materials, Titanium, carbon fibre, magnesium and aluminum might not be to your taste you might have to “compromise” to achieve the balanced rifle you seek.

The one down side with the Browning Ti’s is they are no longer made and when they were available cost three times the standard rifle.

ATB

Tahr

Thank you for your thoughts and inisights I have already discovered that this P-H 1200C weighs more than I would like to carry for too long. I am on a limited budget, very limited, I put my Harris 13" Bi-Pod on it this afternoon and the all up weight is now 12lbs 4oz and this is not the Varmint version . My Wildcat weighs 725 grams on my kitchen scales but you may have noticed I tend to use "old money" measurments and weights. It's my age I suppose .

I am sorry to say that I do not like plastic stocks, they feel cold and alien to me , so I will stay with wood.

Of course I turned down a suitable rifle a few years ago it was a 30-06 chambered BSA Majestic Featherweight that was already threaded however I was not looking to get or use a Sound Moderator back then. That Featherweight weighed about 6 1/4- 6 1/2 lbs. I doubt they still have it but it might be worth a call I suppose.

I will have to check out the .270 P-H 1200 Super at LSC and see how much it weighs. It's fitted with what looks like a T8 and I could do a one for one. One 270 for another .270 hmmmm

Ah the BSA Majestic, a friend of mine has three of the buggers nice rifles unless you are next to the one with a ported barrel on the range.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar
    Ah the BSA Majestic, a friend of mine has three of the buggers nice rifles unless you are next to the one with a ported barrel on the range.

ATB

Tahr
    Oh you mean with the Besa Recoil reducer. I now exactly what you mean. Luckily they could be had with a "Range Adaptor" that fitted over it to shut it off. I have one in .243 but it 's not listed for shooting but it came with the range adaptor. I cannot see whay someone would want the BESA on a .243 but there you have it. Sorry I don't have any photos of it Just the .270 Featherweight without the BESA:-

This rifle took my last deer a Muntjac yearling Buck Oh you might notice I have fitted a P-H6EH sporting aperture sight that I got from John Knibbs however the buck was shot using a scope.

my t3varmint with t8 and harris and i.o.r scope with sling amo waight 16pounds no light waight but you get used to it il be back

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    my t3varmint with t8 and harris and i.o.r scope with sling amo waight 16pounds no light waight but you get used to it il be back
    Jesus 16lbs and there's me thinking 12 1/4lbs was waaaay over the top Meanwhile I have just secured a lightweight .270 Win chambered rifle it means gettting rid of that tatty Majestic. Forrest Lodge have said they'll put it on the rack and take it off my FAC so I do a one for one .

I phoned an old friend, yep I do happen to have some , and asked him about the 30-06 BSA Majestic they had yonks ago that was threaded, but of course it's gone but on looking for it he found a .270 Majestic Featherweight tucked in back. I had looked at it several years ago a discussion took place with a bit of haggling and it has my name on it. The Majestic Featherweight weighs 6 1/4lbs Of course it requires screw cutting but we can sort that out and a new .27 cal baffle set for the Predator and a machine screw type Q/D stud and ferrule will sort out for a Bi-Pod. It has rings on it as well and I I recall correctly the stock is a lighter Honey colour rather than the darker brown of the Featherwight I posted the photo of .

Now I just have the break the news to the Licensing department

I cannot really see a problem as it's a straight one for one calibre and make will remain the same it's just the model that will be different.

My 260 on a Sako 75 medium action, 22" barrel with a McMillan stock, swaro 8x50 leather sling and ASE Utra can weighs in at 10 lbs 2 ounces according to my digital bathroom scales.

It is possible to go lighter, but very difficult to get a scoped and moderated rifle in under 9 lbs.

Scope and Can will always combine around 2 lbs, allow 0.5 lb for mounts and sling, you are at 6.5 lbs for the rifle. If you want to make a 8 lb rig, the rifle needs to be 5.5 lbs. Not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler
    It is possible to go lighter, but very difficult to get a scoped and moderated rifle in under 9 lbs.

Scope and Can will always combine around 2 lbs, allow 0.5 lb for mounts and sling, you are at 6.5 lbs for the rifle. If you want to make a 8 lb rig, the rifle needs to be 5.5 lbs. Not easy.
    You are quite right Claret, the A-Bolt Combination weighs exactly 8lbs, I guess by going to a new all Aluminium A-Tec moderator and cutting back the barrel 4” I could get it down to around 7.5lbs.

ATB

Tahr

My .270 rig, all up 5 in the mag, wildcat can, full biathlon sling, Burris Fullfield scope, exactly eleven & half pounds.