Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMR Tips

HMR Tips

Hi everyone.

Can someone tell me why my new batch of Hornady BT are darker than normal. What is it? It is like a black powder on the red tip. It wipes of with a damp cloth as shown in the picture. I will check zero with the new batch but will the new rounds effect any accuracy? Anyone come across this before as I have not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hmr.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	38968

Possibly dust from the processes the stuff goes through, as it seems they are not too fussy with those cartridges anyhow, see the threads on HMR squibs etc.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

had a few boxes and it just as accurate as the red tips ...nothing to worry about ...

I have run into people who swear that the rust-red tipped ammo is not as accurate as the bright red tips. I have loaded them in the magazine mix and match and have seen no difference.~Muir

I bought some lead alternative bullets recently, Hornady NTX rounds, exactly the same colour. They were different to differentiate between the traditional and the lead free. Could Hornady have released a lead free HMR round without telling anyone?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    seen this over the years even blue tips,

some red ones last year had a copper slip type coating making them look darker until you cleaned it then found it was the same colour, no problems with any of it all done the job and done it well.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

HMR, best tip I ever got was get rid of it
    The tip colour makes no difference, bullet made by Hornady no matter who loads it.
    It doesn't matter much what make ammo either, you just need a batch your gun likes.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have run into people who swear that the rust-red tipped ammo is not as accurate as the bright red tips. I have loaded them in the magazine mix and match and have seen no difference.~Muir
    Yeah and your countrymen would not buy 17 HMR loaded with the blue tipped bullets intended for the Mach II because they thought it was in some way inferior so it was all shipped over here at a bargain price.

Ian.

Nahh, can't have yanks liking Red. Only Blue!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHDBL7CNA4