Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is it illegal to shoot a fox in the lamp with a .22 rimfire???

is it illegal to shoot a fox in the lamp with a .22 rimfire???

Hi guys

I just been told by a mate of mine that he has been told it is illegal to shoot foxes using his .22 RF Brno. Now I personally never thought of using my .22 to shoot a fox I would prefer to use a .243 so it never entered my mind of lamping a fox with the .22 but just for Rabbs and Hares fun.

I done some research on this and there is no definite answer.

Whats your thoughts??

Legal for me, .22lr for vermin, ground game and AOLQ

Neil.

No, it's not illegal per se.

Probably best to check you're not breaking the conditions of your certificate though, and perhaps it could be argued that if you are shooting foxes with a .22lr regularly and at distance, you are causing unnecessary suffering to animals, which would potentially fall foul of the law.

It has to be on your certificate for the 22LR , I don't or wouldn't shoot a fox after 30 yds thats max range with a 22 LR and only then a unstressed well presented head shot.

Foxes will carry a body shot and therefore is not humane method of dispatch to body shoot them with that calibre .22LR, for me 25 yds head shot is a humane method of dispatch, no other body area or distance is acceptable, its about the animals dispatch which is the important thing, if a short range head shot is not forthcoming let it go for another day or I guess use a 12g shotgun with a heavy load such as two shot to do the job

Of course you can as long as Vermin is specified or an open ticket AOLQ.

I have no restrictions neither does he on our tickets , he uses it on his own farm and I must admit quite successfully which I am surprised about , I rarely take a shot when I am out with him I just prefer to lamp and drive tbh.
    Last edited by Tulloch; 09-03-2014 at 15:49.

HO guidelines (s.13.25) suggests a maximum range of 50 yards for shooting fox with .22 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    No, it's not illegal per se.

Probably best to check you're not breaking the conditions of your certificate though, and perhaps it could be argued that if you are shooting foxes with a .22lr regularly and at distance, you are causing unnecessary suffering to animals, which would potentially fall foul of the law.
    Also Home Office Guide on firearms licensing LAW ,,, 22RF YES VERMIN & GROUND GAME and Other small Quarry 22RF NO FOX and Other medium Quarry ,,,, other see
    13.25 22rf in certain circumstance VERY SHORT RANGE ONLY Get caught you could lose your FAC i. e fox runs off and some bunny hugger
    finds it half dead and reports it it not worth the risk get a proper Gun for fox
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 09-03-2014 at 16:33.

see how many mixed answers there is even the law contradicts itself .