Browning 1886

MARCBO

I acquired a new-in-box Browning Model 1886 rifle last year and have finally got it out and tried to do some load development. Started with a "1886" level load using 350gr cast bullets and smokeless. With the crescent buttplate that load was a bit too stout and leaded the barrel within 10 rounds. Tried reducing the load to BP levels still using smokeless but the leading persists. The bullets are cast 20:1 so I'm beginning to think this is a jacketed bullet onlygun. The Marlins I had in the past all shot lead well and I have not had a problem with these particular bullets in either my C. Sharps M1874s in 45-110 or 45-90.

SS

The Winchester factory 300 grain HP bullets at 1875 ft/sec is all you need to copy. This is an accurate velocity, modest recoil, and lots of killing power.
Try the Hornady 300-gr XTP with 49.0 gr of IMR 4064 or IMR 4895 to be in the 1875 fps range.

The old carbine load with a 300gr bullet only reached about 1,600 fps while the 405gr rifle load ran at about 1,400. Although safe I am sure, the modern Winchester load still is above original BP loadings. The 1886 is for plinking, for killing I use a 50-70, bullets are large enough they don't have to expand...

SS

Those loads I gave will give that speed out of a 22-inch barrel Marlin 1895, and more from an 1886 rifle or an 1885 Single Shot. I have shot them through my friend's original 1886 Winchester. Very accurate, and potent on deer, boar and black bear.

The Winchester ( or Browning M-71) is basically the 1886 action, for the potent .348 Winchester.
So, too, is the 1892 a scaled down 1886 for revolver cartridges, very slick.

Your problem is bullet fit and not the rifle or rifling.. Bullets that do not fit the throat will lead the bore.

May I suggest you mosey on over the Cast Boolits forums and do some reading and learn how to load for your rifle with cast bullets.

Lead bullets are especially sensitive to being sized to match the bore of the rifle. A difference of just a few thousandths of an inch in diameter can make a huge difference in accuracy. At 1,800 fps, too, the bullet needs a gas check. So get a Lee Sizing Die and collets and experiment with some proven 1,800 fps loads.

I was trying to find a long article on testing different bullets and sizing, but until I do, look at this discussion
Marlin 45-70 - What bullet diameter??

Lead bullets are especially sensitive to being sized to match the bore of the rifle. A difference of just a few thousandths of an inch in diameter can make a huge difference in accuracy. At 1,800 fps, too, the bullet needs a gas check. So get a Lee Sizing Die and collets and experiment with some proven 1,800 fps loads.

I was trying to find a long article on testing different bullets and sizing, but until I do, look at this discussion
Marlin 45-70 - What bullet diameter??

"At 1,800 fps, too, the bullet needs a gas check "Ahhhh if you go and read and maybe even learn for the site and forums that I suggested oyou will find out that this in in fact not true.

I have been shooting cast bullets out of old single-shots for more than 20 years. I slugged the barrel of this rifle and it is a true 0.458. In my other cast bullet shooting .45's they too have 0.458/9 barrels and shoot 0.459 diameter bullets well. The leading does not start in the leade so I cannot believe the throat is causing any problems., more likely a rough barrel overall.

My goal is not to turn a 45-70 into a 458, it is to duplicate original ballistics and performance. One can certainly be hot-rodded but if that is the intent I would recommend someone go to the 450 Marlin.

Brithunter,
I has been my experience, shooting lead bullets ( and linotype and wheel weight material ) in the .38 Special, .357 Mag, .303, 30-06, 7x57, and .444 Marlin, that adding a gas check beyond 1700 FPS is good practice for me.

The main point of my post is about slugging the barrel and trying some properly sized bullets to improve accuracy.

I have been shooting cast bullets out of old single-shots for more than 20 years. I slugged the barrel of this rifle and it is a true 0.458. In my other cast bullet shooting .45's they too have 0.458/9 barrels and shoot 0.459 diameter bullets well. The leading does not start in the leade so I cannot believe the throat is causing any problems., more likely a rough barrel overall.

My goal is not to turn a 45-70 into a 458, it is to duplicate original ballistics and performance. One can certainly be hot-rodded but if that is the intent I would recommend someone go to the 450 Marlin.

Were you trying to duplicate the velocity or pressure of the "black powder" loads?~Muir

I was able to locally acquire a box of Hornady 300gr JHPs and loaded them over 28grs of Accurate 5744. This is a load recommended for the Springfield trapdoor to approximate the original loading in pressure and velocity. Seems to have solved the problem as I was able to put five of them into one ragged hole at 50yds from the bench using the open sights. Didn't take the chrono so not sure what it is doing exactly but I am still not sure the gun is a keeper, have to play with it for awhile...

SS

Back