Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reloading accident ?

reloading accident ?

out stalking last week and the keeper informed me that a stalker that used to stalk on the estate next door had lost 3 fingers and an eye when his rifle exploded after using home loads given to him by a fellow stalker . i have been trying to find out more about this but at this time im not having much luck .any one know anything about this accident ?

The only incident I have seen confirmation of was Mauser action which was shattered by a chap at Bisley who tumbled his reloads AFTER they were assembled. This caused the powder grains to break down and turned a slow burning rifle powder into a very fast burning powder. Even this took two rounds to blow it up (the first round took a mallet to extract but the guy still stuck another up the spout and let it go). Serious injuries resulted and the failed action is in the workshop at Fultons.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    out stalking last week and the keeper informed me that a stalker that used to stalk on the estate next door had lost 3 fingers and an eye when his rifle exploded after using home loads given to him by a fellow stalker . i have been trying to find out more about this but at this time im not having much luck .any one know anything about this accident ?
    Which is why one of the primary rules of reloading is that you NEVER shoot someone else's handloads.
    Ever.

Sorry about the man's injuries.~Muir

agree totally sad for the poor man injured but i will never ever leet anyone have my reloads ,ive only done them for my shotgun and am getting the stuff together for my rifle but i wont even let my shooting mad son use them .my reloads any issues my problem.

It always constantly amazes me how many people ask/use a friend to load rounds for them for their rifle. Not only is it fool hardy, it is also in some cases illegal as in many instances they construct a round they are not licenced to hold.
    I used to know someone some years back who consistently used a retired man to load rounds for his rifle, this was all well and good until he got a batch that to say the least was far from perfect! up to that point he had taken little heed of what I had advised him on the matter. But for some strange reason this episode stopped him using him!!
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

The only incident I have seen confirmation of was Mauser action which was shattered by a chap at Bisley who tumbled his reloads AFTER they were assembled
    Now there is a scary thought. I am never ceased to be amazed what seem people think to be a good idea such as 'throw 100 live rounds rounds into your tumbler & switch it on...'. Wow.

I witnessed a trapdoor let go at bisley (all the accidents I've ever witnessed were at bisley) the American civil war type in full uniform had decided to use duplex loads but put 5grains of black in the case then topped up with pistol powder ! (should have been the other way round) a bit of claret but thankfully no serious injurys!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post

the only examples I have heard of of this type of catastrophic failure was a long time ago on an early Blaser where the bolt assembly let go
    Blaser .308 wanted

and the use of the complete wrong powder:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/m1akb.html

it would have to be a major failure for the action on a standard bolt rifle to explode enough to do the damage described. Could happen I suppose but I would be interested to hear the details

that's a real shame for the chap, I often reload with guys just getting started and they are with me til they get going. It's quite often the same story with new reloader though, they want to push bullets really fast rather than starting at the bottom and getting a smooth round developed.

seen a glock 17 explode and take his trigger finger with it after, he reloaded with bluedot as this was all the powder he had to use at the time !! cracking rolling fire ball down the range thought !!!.
    also had a 38 wheely gun explode on the shooting line while i was the RM due to same thing the cylinder chamber exploded into three bits and ripped the crane back and the range still has the three bat shape holes in the walls to this day just to remind folks reloading can be a bugger at times , he was lucky as he had hold of it, i have the case or what's left of it up the shed.
    I understand but what about chaps who reload for others for profit !! or sit in while there ammo is loaded for them lots do this with no undue out come and i would have no problems use'g it as long as it my fire formed case's and powders etc, if you trust the guy who reloads for you and you no he is not a C**K then i can see no probs with have'g someone reload your ammo lots do with no hicups.