Is 6,5x55 my caliber?

Renico

Hi, after having both caliber 243, 270, 308 I still really dont know which caliber to go for. I plan on buying a premium rifle lets say a Sauer. I dont want to buy the wrong caliber so this time I have to choose wisely.

I want an all-round caliber. Im from Denmark and my hunting is 90% Roe deers and 10% Red or fallow deers.

I have thought alot about getting a 6,5x55. In my opinion its pretty close to a 243w, but with the right bullet I can shoot red deer and fallow or wild boar in Sweden/Poland.

I will not buy the 243W bacause here in Denmark its illegal for anything bigger than roe. Thats why I think of 6,5x55 as its bulletwight can get fairly close to a 243W.

I know some of you will say Go buy a 308W 30-06 or 270w but in my honest opinion I think its too big when I said 90% of my hunting will be for roe.

What do you think? Is the 6,5x55 the caliber for my situation?

(sorry about wrong spelling im in a rush to go look at my weapons ;) )

I'm sorry, but I don't think .308 is too big for roe, even if it's the only deer you ever intend shooting it is a perfect all rounder, and on the whole I don't subscribe to their being any such thing as too big, often far less meat damage is done by the heavier calibres, 243 and similar faster smaller rounds deliver far greater meat damage.

If it helps you decide, I have a Sauer 202 Outback (Synthetic/Alloy Receiver/Fluted Barrell) in 6.5x55. I have found the round very effective on Muntjac, Roe and Fallow. I don't shoot Red so I can't comment.

I think that it wouldn't be enough for Wild Boar though. (For that and Moose I have a Sako 85 in 30-06 coming).

regards

Ian

Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55 with 140gr Hornady SSTs travelling at 2,660fps will drop most things - however, I'd probably borrow a .30cal for lowland reds personally. Great calibre though

I actually think the .308 is nicer to shoot than 6.5x55 but would be happy with either one of them if I didn't have both

If I should get a 6,5x55 I plan on using 120grains for roe and change to 156grains if im going to get invited for a hunt on fallow or red deer.

If I should get a 6,5x55 I plan on using 120grains for roe and change to 156grains if im going to get invited for a hunt on fallow or red deer.

That's a solid plan. Having played with both 120gr (Nosler BT) & 156gr (Lapua Mega) ammo, mine just prefers the 140gr out of a cold barrel so I trust it. I have 40 of the others in the safe, but will play with those out to 600yds for a laugh at some point.

Okay thank you. Its funny im just reading a caliber discussion in my local hunting magazine and did you know that the caliber 6,5x55 is the caliber who which have taken most Moose in the swedish history.

Sako actually makes a 156grain bullet for 6,5x55 designed for moose hunting.

go with the swede, it's good for roe, fox, fallow and drops reds well. go straight for the 140g norma vulcan, use nothing else..trust me on this if you're ever going to do anything.

venlig hilsen ;)

Most of Europe requires min 10g bullet weight, so the 156gr ammo sneaks in at 10.1g!

I had 100 Norma Oryx 156gr to use up early part of this season and found them to not expand on smaller deer so I would suggest you stick to 140gr for everything apart from moose!

The 6.5 is a cracking round but I'm waiting for ammo :oops:and had the 308 out last week and what a lovely round that is too !! :lol:

We shot red deer in Ireland for 15 yrs with 6.5 140 grain. Never had
any runners unless shot placement was an issue. From what you describe
6.5 will be an ideal caliber.

Excellent thought process.

I have found the 120gr 6.5 bullets to be very effective on all deer.

For or your needs, I don't see how you could do better.

308 is an excellent calibre on all the species you mention and would go for one if you are going to use factory ammo.

I shoot a 6.5 and rate it highly on Roe and Fallow and would recommend it if you are going to home load. Use 120 - 140g on deer.

Some good advice there. I shoot sauer 6.5x55 and agree with Ian. 140gn SST's get my vote. Deadly accurate, good exit wounds with little meat damage if shot well. Must admit I've had a couple of poor shots lately resulting in excessive damage, but that's just how things go sometimes. I recently looked at a 101 as a back up rifle/bigger caliber. I went for .308w so loads could be similar to the 6.5 and felt recoil similar. Having had the 202 I found the 101 to be far inferiour to it and spent the extra money on another 202. I was very disappointed in the feel of the 101. The trigger was very good and the action slick compared to other makes, but not as nice as the 202. If you can add some more money to the pot for this do it all premium rifle you really should go for the 202. The 101 is in my opinion not aimed to be premium but middle of the road to compete with other offerings out there. ATB.

Back