Thread: Infected lymph node pictures.............discuss

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Infected lymph node pictures.............discuss

Some of you may be aware of my quest for DSC2.
    Last Saturday a.m. I set out with my assessor and eventually got into a group of 5x Roe, having narrowly missed getting into an earlier one.
    A doe was selected for cull and duly shot, tracked and found (only 40m through a hedge and over a ditch).
    The gralloch commenced and all went well until the lymph nodes were checked.
    I had seen that the mesenteric chain was enlarged and other sites were found to be clear and normal. There were no signs (pre-shot) of any distress in the animal and there were no external signs of injury or disease. Indeed the animal was skinned on arrival to the larder as it was for home use.
    So, any suggestions?
    The lumps were not gritty or chalky and the consistency of the infections was smooth almost pus-like.
    The final picture is of the incised spleen which had 2x white lumps on it too.
    The closest I can find on google is
    Follicular lymphoma (in pictures). The lungs were some of the best I have seen for quite a while with no signs of disease.
    I will leave the AW to wade in if he wants too.
    Attachment 39047Attachment 39048Attachment 39049
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

wow... ahdo phone call for sure

Spoke to my mate who is a meat inspecter describing it to him . He told me it could be pyemia in the bloodstream and to discard the carcase . Maybe if apache or vss is online they could enlighten you better .......atb scott

In the central pic are the small lumps raised?? if so could be looking at TB

Google 'germinal centre'. I accept the lymph nodes are enlarged and reactive, but they are not a homogeneous structure. I can't see anything that looks like abscess material only the lymph node doing it's job - producing white blood cells.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

If that is spleen in the least picture, I have a similar slide of TB in a sika spleen. I'd report it as suspect

Tis a bit granular that spleen isnt it. Spleenic tuberculosis praps?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

If i found this when i looked at the organs of something i shot what should i do?
    How can you tell what it is?
    Do i have to get someone out to look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Towler View Post
    If i found this when i looked at the organs of something i shot what should i do?
    How can you tell what it is?
    Do i have to get someone out to look at it?
    Hi mate, welcome to the site. I would suggest that having read your introduction and this post, the best thing you can do is get yourself on a DSC level 1 course, or at least get the manual and read it. It will answer you above questions as well as many more that you may have, and will give you a good base knowledge to begin your journey into the world of deer management.
    Regards,
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Hi mate, welcome to the site. I would suggest that having read your introduction and this post, the best thing you can do is get yourself on a DSC level 1 course, or at least get the manual and read it. It will answer you above questions as well as many more that you may have, and will give you a good base knowledge to begin your journey into the world of deer management.
    Regards,
    MS
    As MS says, the ability to identify anomalies in a carcass and knowing what to do when you find them is one of the key elements covered by DSC1 (and also by the standalone Game Meat Hygiene course). all the same, as you can see, the SD is a great place to share information on the subject, particularly when well illustrated with pictures, as here.

Welcome to the SD.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay