Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a 'freaky' one for you!

Here's a 'freaky' one for you!

This will undoubtedly get moved to the deer welfare section, but I thought it was deserving of a brief spell in the general section as it is quite weird!
    I shot a Roe Doe tonight about middle aged. Her abdomen was as 'tight as a drum' despite being only 20 mins from shot to gralloch. Upon opening her up, I was faced with a very hard lump like a small rugby ball. On looking closer, I could see that there were actually 2 roe kids fused together into a hard lump! They were not in a placenta and have legs sticking out. The whole lump is about 26cm long. Going by the size of them, they can only be last years young which were never born. This immediately made me think of the Scmallenberg virus which has so far not been found in deer! The rest of the deer was absolutely fine with all lymph sites normal and a healthy larder weight of 30lb clean. I'm not sure it will go into the food chain just yet though! I've spoken to the animal health dept but could only get some distant vet via a pager this late. To be honest, they weren't that interested as it wasn't domestic livestock!! They did say they will get someone from the wild animal dept to call me tomorrow though. I have wrapped it and put it in the fridge. I haven't cut it open or anything as I don't want to destroy anything that may be of scientific interest. If anyone does have a contact number of anyone that might be interested, please PM me. See what you think:
    Attachment 39053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_1.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	39055Attachment 39054
    Freaky eh??
    MS

Victim of alien abduction/probe?

You could be on to something there. Maybe this years kids being re absorbed?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    On a more serious note, is re absorption something that happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    No way mate. This years kids would only be about 6-8 inches long yet at most and very slender. These are full formed and covered in hair (see the feet on one). They can only be last years kids. They may well be co-joined or deformed and the mother simply couldn't push them out? Definitely not this year's offspring though.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    On a more serious note, is re absorption something that happens then?
    It is said that roe have the ability to re-absorb one or more foetus if they have a particularly hard time during the winter months. They can then put all their effort into a good survivable foetus rather than lose them all aledgedly!

They cant reabsorb them outside of the womb though can they?
    My initial thoughts are these are in fact this years offspring but possibly an ectopic pregnancy.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

interesting photo , when i used to work in a very big beef slaughterhouse you would sometimes find a similar thing inside old cows , I'm not sure but i think the calves unborn for whatever reason were being re-absorbed
    andy

I've seen Roe kids born in late March. We haven't had a winter this year either. It does look deformed. An X ray might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    They cant reabsorb them outside of the womb though can they?
    My initial thoughts are these are in fact this years offspring but possibly an ectopic pregnancy.
    I had thought of that, but I believe that would have lead to the death of the mother. They are quite simply too big to be this years too. You can tell that they have been in there a good while too.
    MS