Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe deer herd or group = New one on me!

Roe deer herd or group = New one on me!

Up until last night I had no idea that Roe formed groups or herds in the winter.

On our way back from a highseat last night walking around some lakes my mate spotted a deer sillhouette about 20 yards from us skylined with the moon behind. I whipped out the NV and it was a Roe Doe just stood watching us. We put a torch on her and she was quite happy for a minute or so then moved away. When I put the NV back on to try and spot her again she had joined 8 others who were all about 30 yards away just staring at us!! We moved a bit closer and they then pronked away (again I didn't know they did this like Fallow!) and formed a tight group almost like a legion of Romans forming a defence!! A few minutes later they were gone!

It was a great mini experience and while I was scouting round with the NV I spotted a youngster couched down close to where we saw the 1st one but left it in peace.

It's the most Roe I've seen on my land as previously all I had seen was one buck, one Doe and 2 kids other than a couple more on the trailcam. Will be interesting if they all have youngsters in a couple of months time as they all looked to be the same size in the dark!! It's also nice to get chance to observe them, all be it briefly as I only normally see munties,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

herds indeed, however, it won't be long until they start splitting up again now spring is here.

17 on one field a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic to see a shoal this size.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Wonderful thing the internet, just looked it up.... A bevy of roes is the collective noun!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Wonderful thing the internet, just looked it up.... A bevy of roes is the collective noun!
    What would you have done 25 years ago before matey invented the web!!?
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    LOL, I'd have wondered for ages and ages then probably made something up!

on my small piece of ground in yorkshire i usually get groups around 19-20 but this year being so mild they have not needed to group up so much as food has been in abundance even in the woods unlike previous years. The roe have tended to stay in there small family groups in each of the woods and along the wide hedges, out towards m62-m18 the roe are always in groups no matter what time of year these deer go out into the largest fields right in the middle as its safe they can see for miles of any one approaching and leg it. you see them also laying on the sides of the dykes.
    atb,wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Presumably he would have sent Tim Berners-Lee a letter asking him what you call a group of roe?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Which was originally "A Beuy" (of Roos)

From The Book of St Albans; Dame Juliana Berners (1486)

Information from 'The Language of Field Sports'; C.E. Hare. First Published 1939 by Country Life Ltd

If you can locate a copy of this book I'd urge anyone to get it. It's packed with information about, and the terms used, in the art of Venerie and and hunting down the ages.

Turns out there are quite a few available on Abebooks: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...f+Field+Sports
    Last edited by Orion; 12-03-2014 at 15:29.

Roe deer don't herd or live in groups they feed in groups reason the food is there and they need the most nutritious and are very selective .But it is nice to see a few together.