Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't need it !

I don't need it !

I don't need it but I want one anyway !

A 26 Nosler , already have a 264 Win Mag and a 6.5-06 but I decided the other day I want a 26 Nosler . Wouldn't mind it on one of the Nosler 48 factory rifles but at $1800 I think I'll build my own . Matter of fact I already have a reamer on order and a Shilen stainless #4 contour 6.5mm with a 1-8 twist . Wanna finish it at 26" .

After I get those and a suitable old 700 magnum donor rifle , I'll redo and older trigger , order a set of RCBS dies and perhaps 50 pieces of Nosler brass . The brass is painfull they're getting about $2.50 a stick !

Hi 6pt.
    Good for you mate, scratch that itch. Life is too short not to. Want and need make for poor bed fellows.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi 6pt.
    Good for you mate, scratch that itch. Life is too short not to. Want and need make for poor bed fellows.

Yorkie.
    The guys at Nosler are saying barrels will must likely be throated in 800-1200 shots . Now if I'm not mistaken they're using all carbon steel barrels on their rifles , so perhaps with a quality stainless barrel I can extend it some .

But then I suspect working up a load I won't shoot it more then 100-200 shots . And each hunting season perhaps 10 shoots to check the scope before hunting season and possibly another 5-10 shots at animals so with an average of 20 shots a year I should never shoot the throat out of the gun . At 52 I dare say I don't have much more then 20 years of hunting left in me .

Truth be known once I get it built , 3 or 4 decent loads worked up and 3 or 4 deer killed I'll more then likely kill a deer a year with it after that . So more then likely the shot total after the first year will more likely be in the 10-12 range or possibly less . Well provided I'm not doing my usual scope musical chairs thing . Need to look around for a nice old Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14x40AO scope to put on this thing and leave it their .

I suspect in this thing I'll opt for the same three bullets I like in the 6.5-06 and 264 Win Mag . That being the Berger 130 VLD Match Hunting , Nosler 130 AccuBond and the Hornady 129 SST .

Had you given any thought to a Lothar Walther Stainless Blank? That Proprietary LW 50 Steel is very hard and should be good for a large over bore Magnum like the .26.

Yorkie.

I have that very Leupold on my 6.5x284 but with the Illuminated Reticle. I am not a huge fan of Leupold even though I have three but I do like that one.

Yorkie.

Had you given any thought to a Lothar Walther Stainless Blank? That Proprietary LW 50 Steel is very hard and should be good for a large over bore Magnum like the .26.

Yorkie.

No , I'm partial to Shilen and Lilja barrels . Plus we get a better deal price wise on Shilens .

I have that very Leupold on my 6.5x284 but with the Illuminated Reticle. I am not a huge fan of Leupold even though I have three but I do like that one.

Yorkie.
    Yeah I have the same scope on both my 6.5-06 and my 264 Win Mag .

I used to be hung up on the Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10x40AO but when they brought out the 4.5-14 I got two of them and have preferred them ever since although I still do have one of the 3.5-10's on one of my muzzle loaders .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    At 52 I dare say I don't have much more then 20 years of hunting left in me .
    Hello 6PS

I hope you do !
    I didn't start shooting till last year at 68. I'm hoping for a bit more than three more years.

Richard

What's need got to do with regard to gun's, just buy it.