Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bratton sound twin lock cabinet key mnemonic. Top-notch trick!

Bratton sound twin lock cabinet key mnemonic. Top-notch trick!

Not exactly a stalking tip and I realise this admission may indicate my lack of common sense and intelligence, but just in case it reduces any body else's minor irritation when unlocking a twin lock Brattonsound Cabinet...

For the best part of 10 years I put up with the irritation of having to try both keys in the first lock when opening my cabinet, and of course half the time it was the wrong one…I tried memorising the key shape which was not successful, marking with felt tip which came off rapidly, finally Eureka! I filed a notch in the rim of the upper lock key which I can find instantly with my thumbnail and don't faff around trying the wrong key any more.

In order to further remind myself which is the correct key I realised that "top notch" was easy to remember…

Alan

I just dot punched mine the day i made the cabinet so i knew which was which,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Great idea, beats the Tippex on mine hands down

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    Not exactly a stalking tip and I realise this admission may indicate my lack of common sense and intelligence, but just in case it reduces any body else's minor irritation when unlocking a twin lock Brattonsound Cabinet...

For the best part of 10 years I put up with the irritation of having to try both keys in the first lock when opening my cabinet, and of course half the time it was the wrong one…I tried memorising the key shape which was not successful, marking with felt tip which came off rapidly, finally Eureka! I filed a notch in the rim of the upper lock key which I can find instantly with my thumbnail and don't faff around trying the wrong key any more.

In order to further remind myself which is the correct key I realised that "top notch" was easy to remember…

Alan

don't worry Aan.

some of the smart R's on here still cant find there way home without calling there wifes.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Better than the bit of insulation tape around the shank of one key that I used to use as an identifier. That just unpeeled itself occasionally.

Thanks Druid, I feel slightly better now

Totally agree Bob, a most helpful tip. Can't believe I couldn't come up with a better solution than Tippex in the last 26 years

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    I just dot punched mine the day i made the cabinet so i knew which was which,
    I had four separate and different type of padlocks on the shotgun chest I made out of 3mm plate and 40 x 40 x 5 angle…I was paranoid that the police would not approve it unless it was distinctly overkill!

This "Home Office Approved" Brattonsound was bought because I feared they would be even more picky about housing FAC weapons and I at least halved the number of locks! Trouble was, it was always at home and the files were always at the forge then I remembered the file on my swisstool multitool thing!

Ah yes! the tippex and the tape, I knew I had forgotten some of my failed experiments!

As the cabinet sits in the dark in a cupboard and the keys are in the safe above, being able to identify it by feel has worked well.

Alan

Ah yes! the tippex and the tape, I knew I had forgotten some of my failed experiments!
    At least you persevered Alan. Thanks for braving the likelihood for smart R's replies; the next time a 'top-up' is required, I at least now have a less messy and longer-term solution

I had four separate and different type of padlocks on the shotgun chest I made out of 3mm plate and 40 x 40 x 5 angle…I was paranoid that the police would not approve it unless it was distinctly overkill!

This "Home Office Approved" Brattonsound was bought because I feared they would be even more picky about housing FAC weapons and I at least halved the number of locks! Trouble was, it was always at home and the files were always at the forge then I remembered the file on my swisstool multitool thing!

As the cabinet sits in the dark in a cupboard and the keys are in the safe above, being able to identify it by feel has worked well.

Alan
    They are picky with firearms cabinets i am lucky to have use of a press and laser so i can do them like shop bought but with better steel,

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports