Scope for the rim fire

norma 308

I have fixed s/bender scopes on all my deer and fox cal rifles but a vari hawk scope on the rimmy 22,I now have a spare 30mm 6x42 s/bender after getting a good deal on another 8x56 s/b .question ? Should I stick to the old vari or put the s/bender on the rimmy hmmmm .
cheers Norma

I have fixed s/bender scopes on all my deer and fox cal rifles but a vari hawk scope on the rimmy 22,I now have a spare 30mm 6x42 s/bender after getting a good deal on another 8x56 s/b .question ? Should I stick to the old vari or put the s/bender on the rimmy hmmmm .
cheers Norma
put vari on rimmie and give me the s/b simples, atb doug,

From one doug to another :rolleyes: Good try lol
just going out for a rabbit now ,for the sake of a cheap set of 30mm rings I might give the s/b a try see how I perform with the old hawk in a minute .
cheers doug

i have hawk on my 22 it is plenty good enough for bunnie ranges if not further shot hundreds of bunnies with it, and i hope again this wkend now its drying up ,atb doug,

dont waste the use of a schmidt buddy i have a panorama on my .222 and it does the job so would be perfect on a rimmy when i get summit else for my .222 , i need summit better under a lamp at 200yards

I have an s&b 6x42 on my 22 and love it reticle is a little heavy for the longer shots but you get used to it and it give that little extra shooting before you need the lamp.

I've got a Hawke Panorama on my HMR more than enough scope for bunny ranges.

MTC Viper on my .223 until I can afford a better scope and a Meopta on my .308

Went round the grass for 3/4 of an hour and shot a few rabbits on 6 power think I'll give the s/b a try untill I get a heym .
norma

Last edited:
The Hawke is plenty good for a .22 LR, and I love my little 4x32 Mil Dot, thinking of getting a 2-7x32AO.

Normally, I would say to go buy another centerfire to stick under that 6x42mm, but for years I have run a 6x42 on a .308 Win, another on a .223, and another on a .22 LR, from a standpoint of sight picture and training.

I now have a Burris 2-7x35mm Ballistic Plex on a really accurate, full-sized .22 LR, to match the same scope on a centerfire. The ballistic reticle or Mil Dots are a lot of fun, for shooting a .22 LR on targets out to 200 yards, including rats and pigeons.

My poor CZ American .22 had had so many scopes on it over the last 7 years it's dizzy. Lol
But last summer I finalised the situation, it now wears a S&B pm 4x36, brilliant for the .22lr
Not only can you use the mill-dot reticle to hold over, you range using the separate stadia under the reticle.
You also have the best set of single turn turrets with return to zero stop I have ever used if that is the way you want to work.

Neil. :)

Said it before but here goes again.

The top Austrian glass makers are missing a trick by not offering one or two fixed power scopes with parralex set for rimfire distances (c40 yards) as distinct from centrefire (c100 yards). Similarly, variable power with parralex adjustment down to c15 yards.

Only S&B offer one and this is all but their most expensive scope at close to £3K! Its also very large.

For now I have the Leupold variable power (6-20X40) offering for rimfire/air rifle that does parralex down to 10m. Its also surprisingly bright and crisp of image.

That all said it appears I'm all but the only SD member who bothers to stalk rabbits for shots well below 50 yards so perhaps the market is much smaller than I imagine.

K

The Hawke is plenty good for a .22 LR, and I love my little 4x32 Mil Dot, thinking of getting a 2-7x32AO.

Normally, I would say to go buy another centerfire to stick under that 6x42mm, but for years I have run a 6x42 on a .308 Win, another on a .223, and another on a .22 LR, from a standpoint of sight picture and training.

I now have a Burris 2-7x35mm Ballistic Plex on a really accurate, full-sized .22 LR, to match the same scope on a centerfire. The ballistic reticle or Mil Dots are a lot of fun, for shooting a .22 LR on targets out to 200 yards, including rats and pigeons.
Just took the 6x42 off the 308 and put on another 8x56 s/b ,when I get a heym or a mannlicher classic half stock I'll stick it on that .
norma

Said it before but here goes again.

The top Austrian glass makers are missing a trick by not offering one or two fixed power scopes with parralex set for rimfire distances (c40 yards) as distinct from centrefire (c100 yards). Similarly, variable power with parralex adjustment down to c15 yards.

Only S&B offer one and this is all but their most expensive scope at close to £3K! Its also very large.

For now I have the Leupold variable power (6-20X40) offering for rimfire/air rifle that does parralex down to 10m. Its also surprisingly bright and crisp of image.

That all said it appears I'm all but the only SD member who bothers to stalk rabbits for shots well below 50 yards so perhaps the market is much smaller than I imagine.

K

I have S&B 6x42 on my airguns, and the parallax thing doesn't seem to cause me any problems notwithstanding that they're set parallax-free at 100m, and I generally shoot at 35yds or nearer.
Mind you, S&B are not a top Austrian product: Deutschland ueber Alles!

Having a good scope on my 22 would give me serious worries, the abuse my 22 gets.

I have a thing the gun dealer gave me with mildots and it even lights up red and green! It was 50 quid and I haven't had to zero it for over a year. But then he 22 gets so much more rounds through it, it should probably have the good scope.

My opinion FWIW is that .22rf is a calibre that not just deserves a good scope but actually needs it more than most cf rifles.

That is based upon its ballistics. It is (generally) a slow loopy load that will only ever be as accurate as the ammo you can get for it. If ever there was a case for knowing exactly how much above and below your zero the bullets impact at various ranges the .22rf is it (along with airrifles). This is of course if you put it up against live quarry, as the shooter has a responsibility to assure clean kills. It is very easy to be over or below your guessed impact point with rf just because of vagaries of the ammo.

i have as big a useful scope as I can on my rimmies, and on the Finnfire had a burris laser rangefinder for some time. This was a very very efficient set up.

Your best scope should be on your 22 as you shoot smaller targets,
essexsussex if your 22 gets the most abuse, it's why you need the better scope.

Back