Thread: Scope

Scope

HI CHAPS,setting my scope just got my T3 light with schmidt bender scope so moa x widage where to begin with the turrets , i know i could take a couple of shots and go from there but these scobes cannot be set back to zero i think, i am new to rifle shooting allways been shot gun ,so please give me a bit of leeway thanks robshooter

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob shooter View Post
    HI CHAPS,setting my scope just got my T3 light with schmidt bender scope so moa x widage where to begin with the turrets , i know i could take a couple of shots and go from there but these scobes cannot be set back to zero i think, i am new to rifle shooting allways been shot gun ,so please give me a bit of leeway thanks robshooter
    Rob

When I mount a new scope I always start by setting the turrets to their middle settings. Then mount the scope. Then boresight. Then start on the paper. Once zeroed replace turret caps (stating the obvious, but the number of times.....)

I am sure a search on here (or on the wider web) will find a tutorial on zeroing.....here's one (G Ammo) though strangely I've yet to find one that mentions setting the turret adjustments to their middle setting first.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 14-03-2014 at 07:48.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Rob I am a shotgun man too, therefore simple. This has always worked for me. Fix the scope, take out the bolt and place the rifle on a solid rest.

Look straight through the bore at a fixed point about 100m away. Without moving the rifle look through the scope, and adjust it until the cross hairs are on the same point you can see through the bore.

Did this with a new to me 30 year old gun and well used scope last weekend, and the shotwere within a foot of the point of aim at 100m.

Then you can start adjusting

Will
    Last edited by Essexsussex; 14-03-2014 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Rob

When I mount a new scope I always start by setting the turrets to their middle settings. Then mount the scope. Then boresight. Then start on the paper. Once zeroed replace turret caps (stating the obvious, but the number of times.....)

I am sure a search on here (or on the wider web) will find a tutorial on zeroing.

willie_gunn
    What he says. I've never had a new scope and thought they might start in the middle.

If you've got good mounts your combination of rifle and scope should line up and work well Rob. You are right about not being able to reset the markers on the scope but why should you want to do that in the first place. The S&B scope has a very good system of indicator dials to show how much adjustment is left on the scope, it's all explained in the instructions. Just make sure that the scope adjustment is centred before you start.

I always bore sight my scopes at 100 yards when I mount a new scope on a rifle and then do my initial zero at 25yards. I then move back to 100 yards and generally find that it doesn't take me more than about 5 rounds to achieve what I want. Others use different systems and claim that they can zero a rifle with two rounds but I stick with what works for me. Don't be taken in by these lasers or any other clever costly system just use a cardboard box.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    If you've got good mounts your combination of rifle and scope should line up and work well Rob. You are right about not being able to reset the markers on the scope but why should you want to do that in the first place. The S&B scope has a very good system of indicator dials to show how much adjustment is left on the scope, it's all explained in the instructions. Just make sure that the scope adjustment is centred before you start.

I always bore sight my scopes at 100 yards when I mount a new scope on a rifle and then do my initial zero at 25yards. I then move back to 100 yards and generally find that it doesn't take me more than about 5 rounds to achieve what I want. Others use different systems and claim that they can zero a rifle with two rounds but I stick with what works for me. Don't be taken in by these lasers or any other clever costly system just use a cardboard box.
    +1 find the middle on turrets count the clicks then half it, fire one shot then without moving the rifle adjust the scope to the bullet hole you just made , atb doug,
    DONT START

Over the years I find for me the following works best for me. Mount the scope making sure eye relieve is correct and the cross hairs are level. Place target at 50 metres or yards(what ever you work in) set rifle up bags or some other device so it will not move unless you make it. Remove bolt and look through from the butt and line up bore with target. Then without moving rifle adjust turrets until cross hairs are on target too. Take another look through bore too make sure cross hairs and bore are pointing at the same place. Fire a shot and adjust turrets accordingly. I find that if I have a poi a quarter of an inch high at 50m then the poi at 100m will be 1 and a quarter inches high. This means that my zero is 180m. I done this yesterday with a new scope and had it zeroed with 4 shots. You then if you have tactical type turrets set them to zero. I prefer the 180m zero because if all is good and I want to shoot out to 220m then I dont need to think about hold over etc

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I am sure a search on here (or on the wider web) will find a tutorial on zeroing.....here's one (G Ammo) though strangely I've yet to find one that mentions setting the turret adjustments to their middle setting first.
    I wonder if that's because if you are going to boresight anyway is makes absolutly no difference whatsoever?