Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble metering N160

Trouble metering N160

My Chargemaster is away for repair, so I am using my old measure and scales.

I am a recent convert (about 18 months) to N160 and used it extensively through the Chargemaster with absolutely no issues. Had never measured it through a manual measure.

I doesn't seem to like metering in my Lee measure and I have had to shake rattle and roll the operating lever to get anything like consistent charge weights - to the extent of up to -3 grains below target.

So I am back to trickling and weighing every charge.

Any ideas?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

There used to be an external knocker or tapper incorporated in the design of some powder measures made years ago for just the very reason that you mention. Unfortunately some powders don't meter as well as others but with practise you will become more consistent with regard to thrown weights. Personally I can't live with that and throw slightly under and trickle the remainder of the charge.

No joking but I think they used to recommend hitting the side of the powder thrower with a wooden spoon in the past so as to settle the powder after every throw. maybe worth a try.
    Last edited by 8x57; 14-03-2014 at 14:48.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

SD Regular
    I am surprised as Lee's measure is supposed to be quiet good with these stick powders. Maybe the thing needs disassembling and a good wash in warn SOAPY water to rid it of any static that may have accumulated?

If not buy some of Lee's Popeye's pipes and use them then trickle. Or just dump from the measure you have direct to the scale and trickle the rest in. So set a deliberate undercharge.

i have the same problem with vit 165 not metering so now i just use a lee dipper and trickel the rest in i find its the best way for me spot on powder loads every time

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    My Chargemaster is away for repair, so I am using my old measure and scales.

I am a recent convert (about 18 months) to N160 and used it extensively through the Chargemaster with absolutely no issues. Had never measured it through a manual measure.

I doesn't seem to like metering in my Lee measure and I have had to shake rattle and roll the operating lever to get anything like consistent charge weights - to the extent of up to -3 grains below target.

So I am back to trickling and weighing every charge.

Any ideas?
    Move the handle without regard to cutting grains. If it 'crunches' so be it. Any irregular vibration or movement will cause gross inaccuracies. I hate the stand Lee provides because it wobbles when metering stick powders. It's very difficult to get consistent throws that way.~Muir

I used my Lee measure without serious problems for about 25 years before the arrival of the Chargemaster.

The N160 difficulty is new to me.

Sorry, Muir, but banging and rattling the thing was the only way to get anything near consistency.

I had the thing apart for cleaning before I brought it back into use and yes, I am certain it is assembled correctly.

It must be the powder bridging in the unit but I have used many stick powders in the past without this difficulty.

Ah well lump and trickle it must be.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

scoop it!

I ditched the Lee thrower in favour of a scoop of suitable size
    didnt have any issue with N160 per se, just didnt get on with it
    I only have to trickle maybe one in five and I dont have to do it at any specific bench

I have just had the same problem with N-130 and my RCBS measure, ended up scooping and trickling.

Neil.

Is it the Lee "Perfect" measure?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

No problem with my perfect powder measure for N140 which is the same extruded tubular structure as N165, very accurate throws. How tight have you got the side screw set?
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy