Self Restraint.

Muir

One of the better and larger sports stores in the City is preparing to move to a new and larger building a few miles away. In preparation for the move, they are bringing "old stock" out for sale to reduce the amount of inventory they need to move.

The very first thing that caught my eye was a Tikka T-3 "Hunter" in 30-06 with the most beautiful fiddle-back grained walnut stock (from stem to stern) I have seen on a factory rifle in many years: $670 US. I put it back up on the rack and ran off to the reloading department where I knew there were no deals to be had.

Much to my surprise, they had pulled a bunch of Hornady bullets and put them out: 30 cal, 150 grain Interlocks @ $23/100, 168 grain A-MAX Match for $27/100, 168 grain BTHP Match for $25/100. .284" 139 grain Interlocks for $23/100 for plain base and $24/100 for boat tails.... the list goes on.

I knew I was in serious trouble. After much careful deliberation, I grabbed two boxes of the 7mm x 139 grain flat base Interlocks and ran away from the demon in me that wanted to grab that 30-06 and about $300 worth of assorted bullets.

Jesus. That was a close call.~Muir

The one thing that would tempt me at the moment would be cut price Hornady 174grn RNSP .312 bullets. I like them a lot:cool:

Have you managed to keep to your New Year resolution up until now Muir?

Nooooo!! That all caved in last October when my buddy and I found the T-3's we were looking for and mutually agreed to end the wager. He bought a 30-06 and I bought the 7-08. No. I'm free to drain my retirement fund if I feel like it....:rolleyes:~Muir

Doug,
You and that Demon must be related....
And I need to make my way back to the city tomorrow. Makes me half wish the floods take out the bridges...~Muir

buy it now ,itl be gone tomorow.im forever going back for stuff thats sold out.when i should ave bought it when i saw it.youve got cabinet space ,the bullets are on offer do it do it :stir:

Always give in to temptation if it involves a new gun at a great price. That is how I ended up with a benelli SBE and my buddy ended up with a Remington 700 left hand.

But I have six 30-06's already and that's after giving one to my daughter. I was shooting the latest, a Savage, for the first time this evening before I sat down to read the latest on SD.

That's
the issue. If it had been in a different chambering I might have been tempted beyond self control. I'm a big believer in the idea that everyone should have at least ONE 30-06 but I seem to be a little over the limit already.~Muir

FWIW: The Tikkas in 300 WSM were the cheapest of the lot. T-3 Lites for $499 NIB with a decent piece of glass provided.

So if you buy number 7 you can have one for each day of the week! on a sensible note though I would leave it.

awwwwwhhhhhhh come on Muir treat yourself one more wouldn't hurt :D

I must be the only bloke who has to age a new gun before taking it in indoors for inspection by hwmbo

new gun ------------ of course not sweetheart, it has been in the cabinet a while now, keep thinking about selling one or two when i get around to it :rolleyes: - perfic :D

Leaves the door wide open for another to be dragged in, in a eh hum run down condition for a not bad 50 quid bargain off a mate, and did you you know zeiss range finder binocs are only 90 quid a pair this week on a very very special offer :rofl: wot ever you do don't mention or allow more than two knives on show at any one time - questions will definitely be asked and explanations required as to how one person can hold and use more than one knife at a time :scared: forewarned is forearmed :tiphat:

ATB

Phil

So if you buy number 7 you can have one for each day of the week! on a sensible note though I would leave it.

Yeah. I really don't need it. I also forgot another two 30-06's I have so that makes eight.I did go to have another look at it today. It's still there, ignored by all the clowns drooling over Remington 700's on the racks below it. They also has a T-3 Lite, camo paint, fixed iron sights, in 338 Winchester Magnum. A little more than than the 30-06 but what a fine elk rifle that would make!! You'd get smacked developing loads but in the field it would be a dream.~Muir

PS: Bought some more Hornady bullets and went home satisfied....

I must be the only bloke who has to age a new gun before taking it in indoors for inspection by hwmbo

Phil

Shook that rat off my neck about 6 years ago. When i was married, I would simply say I was going to the range and leave with at least one hard case empty. I'd go to the gun shop and load it up. When I got home I'd put it away like it'd been there all that while...

Maybe I'm the rat off shaken off of her neck.:coat:~Muir

Lol well done muir I am proud :)
are they the hornady 139 grains? I've been using them
a while took a good few deer this week with them
got this munty doe earlier :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 19
Lol well done muir I am proud :)
are they the hornady 139 grains? I've been using them
a while took a good few deer this week with them
got this munty doe earlier :)

Thanks. I am having a hard time reaching around to pat myself on the back but I'm happy about leaving it. Hopefully, someone is going to walk in and say "Oh My Lord! The rifle I've been looking for!!" And it will be appreciated and shot without any competition from other aught sixes. ...or so I tell myself. I hope it's so. I did buy a couple of boxes of the .284" 139 grain Boat Tail Soft Point Interlocks. The others were flat base. Of course, when I put them in the reloading shop downstairs I remembered why I passed on them the first time around: I still have about 700 of the PPU 139 gr BTSP 7mm's left. They shot very well from my X57 and performed excellently on the three deer I took with them. I would expect them to do as well from my -08 Tikka.

Nice looking deer. Is it a large Muntjac? small? or average? I still can't get used to seeing deer shorter than the rifle! I'm sure they require a great deal of skill in shot placement. ~Muir

Back