Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyometra Saga!

Pyometra Saga!

Poor Blaze, the JMS training dog, was a bit off colour this week. Usually a highly enthusiastic fox red lab with a typical lab appetite, she was dull and off her food.

Quick trip to the vet - 70 quid in consultation and antibiotics - reveals that she has pyometra - an infection of the womb.

Short and curlies, she's getting speyed next week and will be out of action for a while. It's great that she is already responding well to the antibiotics and is back on her food. It's less great that the cost of the op shoots from about 250 to 500 since it's an "emergency".

She's worth a lot to me - how many lost deer does it take to recover the cost after all? Had an interesting conversation with the vet about insurance - she was basically giving me a ticking off for not having it. It's well documented elsewhere on SD about the potential problems with working dog insurance.

Anyway, made a couple of calls and apparently it wouldn't make much odds - most insurers apparently take the view that it could have been prevented by having her speyed at an early age.

Might be one for those with entire bitches to watch out for - and check your insurance!

James

Just had the same with my two cockers. Both coped really well and were working again within three weeks. The oldest was 12.5 the other 8.5. Talk about bad luck happening to two!!!

Pyometra should be covered on a pet insurance policy. How does delaying the surgery until after the weekend tick the emergency box?? Surely that has then become an elective procedure

I can only go on the info I got from two different insurers - they were sticking to the line that it's entirely preventable by routine speying.

It was described as an emergency operation but what I was told was that it's better to treat with antibiotics for a few days to ensure she's as fit as possible before the operation. Apparently the infection and swelling make the operation a lot more difficult hence the added cost.

I've not got a lot of option but to trust what I'm being told.

I have recently ( last Oct) gone throught the same thing.

Purdey our GSP bitch, was off colour and off her food for a day or two, whipped her into the vets - diagnosis Pyometra.

Straight in for bloods and emergency speying. Then antibiotics afterwards.

She improved immediately, but a fortnight later, she was running a temp and not 100%, so back to the vets - more bloods, a swab and antibiotics.

Diagnosed with infection of the 'stump', which according to the vet is fairly uncommon.

Bill came to 861.

Called Tesco insurance for a claim form, filled out our bit, vet filled in his bit and sent it off.

10 days later a letter came through, to let us know the claim had been paid in full (less our 60 excess of course).

So not all ins co's are the same, and whilst it is arguable that Pyo is preventable in older bitches, it can happen to younger bitches too that haven't reached the age of breeding ( 2yrs according to KC).

Good luck with Blaze.

Thanks for the good luck message - really hope she'll be ok.

Noted about companies not being equal - guess I look at life a bit differently and think that I've saved more than she's ever cost in vet bills by not paying ths insurance - it's just a bit of a blow when a big bill does land!

I only raised the insurance company thing as a friend announced they'd been caught out with - how many of us really read the small print until we have to?

Mad long as shes's ok, I might even cope with the two weeks of lead exercise - didn't even have a lead going to the vets the other day! It's going to be pretty strange for me and her for a wee while......

Pyo should be covered on insurance, unless it's one of the poorer policies. Stating it is preventable by spaying is akin to not paying for a dermatitis that has as its route course, fleas.
    Hope your dog is OK, they bounce back amazingly well. If I can, I'd always try to defer surgery for a day or so to get some antibiotics in.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Pyo should be covered on insurance, unless it's one of the poorer policies. Stating it is preventable by spaying is akin to not paying for a dermatitis that has as its route course, fleas.
    Hope your dog is OK, they bounce back amazingly well. If I can, I'd always try to defer surgery for a day or so to get some antibiotics in.
    I always used to stabilise for a few hours then operate the same day providing the dog had stabilised. Some can keep deteriorating as the antibiotics will not treat the endotoxaemia and could make it worse. After all a chance to cut is a chance to cure!! Here endeth the lesson from a dyed in the wool surgeon!!
    Not saying that waiting is wrong, only that I am too impatient!

Hi JMS,

How is Blaze doing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	39502

Poor Blaze, the JMS Training dog, is back from her operation at the vets and trying to work out why her head is stuck in a bucket!
    Operation went really well and she's already quite a lot brighter. Tow weeks of lead-only exercise is going to be a challenge with such an active dog!

Thanks to everyone who was asking for her!

James