Thread: Sugru - Butler Creek fix.

Sugru - Butler Creek fix.

Guys, I came across a product called Sugru on the net, it comes in little foil sachets and is available in different colours ( black, white, blue etc) It is a putty like substance which is firstly kneaded like dough and can then be shaped as desired before it sets through a slow chemical reaction. It solidifies over a period of about 24 hours and basically sets like rubber , once set it is not hard or brittle but flexible.

It literally has hundreds of uses, this got me thinking, could it help strengthen the extremely fragile Butler Creek scope covers??.... Results are looking good so far! I carefully moulded and shaped the product over and around the hinges checking that the hinge would still open before leaving it to set. I am confident that this has considerably strengthened the ridiculously poor quality plastic that the hinge is made out of .

If you have a set of Butler Creeks that haven't yet fallen to pieces then I would recommend you give this product a try, I have also used the white colour to fix small broken plastic parts on vertical window blinds with great results!

I am not sure how well it shows up in the attached photo but it blends in pretty well too.
    Last edited by paultap; 14-03-2014 at 22:43.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Guys, I came across a product called Sugru on the net, it comes in little foil sachets and is available in different colours ( black, white, blue etc) It is a putty like substance which is firstly kneaded like dough and can then be shaped as desired before it sets through a slow chemical reaction. It solidifies over a period of about 24 hours and basically sets like rubber , once set it is not hard or brittle but flexible.

It literally has hundreds of uses, this got me thinking, could it help strengthen the extremely fragile Butler Creek scope covers??.... Results are looking good so far! I carefully moulded and shaped the product over and around the hinges checking that the hinge would still open before leaving it to set. I am confident that this has considerably strengthened the ridiculously poor plastic that the hinge is made out of .

If you have a set of Butler Creeks that haven't yet fallen to pieces then I would recommend you give this product a try, I have also used the white colour to fix small broken plastic parts on vertical window blinds with great results!

I am not sure how well it shows up in the attached photo but it blends in pretty well too.
    nice one, but you do know what half of the people who read this are going to be making with this stuff , after 24hrs its set but still flexible , i shall be waiting to see the pics , atb doug, ps good job on the caps,
    DONT START

This looks promissing for the butler, the moulding is pretty neat looking.

George.

I tried something similar with metalized epoxy. The results looked great and seemed to be working well until it got a very slight knock at which point the epoxy just fell off. It is like nothing on earth will stick to Buttler Creek plastic in the long term! Fingers crossed your idea will work and you can let us know how it goes after a month or so of regular use, then we'll all be doing it :-)
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

i too tried some two part glue and looked good then mine just fell off !!! its as if the butler plastic or nylon is lubricated in some way ? let us know how it lasts
    andy