Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling swivels, what's good or bad?

Sling swivels, what's good or bad?

New rifle today, I have a z-aim sling for it but it came without swivels. I see various makes that cost from £10 to rather a lot Is there anything to watch for or is there anything you're paying for with the expensive ones? Any brands known to be poor quality or some that are good for the price?

I have mostly uncle mikes
    norma

+1 for Uncle Mikes but never have a sling on my lamping rifle ,just the others

Thanks very much, just ordered a set, cheers.

MrMagic'

Only just spotted this. Can't match up your handle/ location to see if you got the sling from us. If so, we offer the sling at £33 posted and with Jack Pyke Swivels at £38. If anyone orders one from us and its a mistake or wished they'd got the swivels, just get in touch and we'll post them for £5.

The uncle Mikes are something of the benchmark - never had a problem with them. We had some complaints that the securing 'knob' was plastic these days - hence part of the switch to JP. But to be honest we've never heard of a problem. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Unc Mikes.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

+1 uncle mikes don't squeak or mine don't the QR ones are best

Make sure if you use a bipod that the swivel stud will fit it. I don't use a bipod when stalking but I took a Harris with me when I went for a plink on the range the other week and found that the front stud was too wide and too short. Couldn't get the clamp onto it. And I hadn't taken a bag. Very annoying.

Moray, thanks for your very kind offer, I bought the sling from another vendor on this site though, before I saw your own ad for them. I ordered some Uncle Mike swivels this morning so should all be good now, cheers.

No worries
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

From my own experience I think its important to spend a little extra.

Not only do cheaper swivels often have out-of-spec pins that don't fit all studs or bipods, but -as I know to my cost- they can also fail at the angle between the swivel body and the fixed "arm" which mounts the cross-pin.

To reduce the chance of failure through fatigue the angle should not be square-cut like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_swivel_set.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	39314

but rather achieved by two oblique angles, like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14032-10933-lg.jpg?width=610&height=610&ext=.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	39313
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay