Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss Conquest or Meopta Meopro

Zeiss Conquest or Meopta Meopro

Looking for a cheap but not bad scope for my 223, as Ill only be using it on the range and for some hunting in daylight conditions. Im looking a both a new Meopta Meopro 1" 3-9x42 and a secodhand Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 / 4,5-14x44. Anybody got one of this particular scopes and how do you like it?

A outsider in the category is Redfield 4-12x40, which also will be the cheapest of the 3 brands. It gets good reviews in the states, but dont know if anyone here have tried one before.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renico View Post
    Looking for a cheap but not bad scope for my 223, as Ill only be using it on the range and for some hunting in daylight conditions. Im looking a both a new Meopta Meopro 1" 3-9x42 and a secodhand Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 / 4,5-14x44. Anybody got one of this particular scopes and how do you like it?

A outsider in the category is Redfield 4-12x40, which also will be the cheapest of the 3 brands. It gets good reviews in the states, but dont know if anyone here have tried one before.
    hi renico.

i love my zeiss conquest scopes, but in the uk they are not supported so no back up if they go wrong.

not a fan of meopta, but i have not looked through a new one for a few years so they could be ok

i have had a newer and the older redfield and they are not bad just a rebadged leupold with fast eyeball focus, not a patch on the older proper redfields but on a budget....its your choice.

i have just placed my latest zeiss up for a swap (4.5/14x44mc rapid z 800) as i need a tad more mag to get me out to 600 with a bit left over cracking glass and they track well enough for me to use out to 450 yards with ease but just net enough to get me to 600.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I have the same question, so be glad to hear some experiences. Zeiss Conquest 6,5-20x50 vs. Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 . This for use on a 223 for range ( no competition) and fox from the highseat. The European line from Meopta is very good, I am sure of that. I have never seen a meopro. Anybody?

Had a Zeiss Duralyt (not a conquest)and have had a good look through a 6-18x50 Meopro, the Meopro wins hands down optically in my opinion, however it is a big old scope.

I have a very old Redfield and it is a fantastic scope. I will never let it go.

I believe Redfield scopes are now made under Leupold? Correct?

I do not own a Zeiss, but would go with them, until Meopta proves its superiority.

What are you hunting? Big targets or small?

If the scope does not demand low light conditions, like the last five minutes of the day, there are lots of good choices. I like have a few Nikon Prostaff's and Burris Fullfield II's.

As it is now, only training/shooting at a roebuck-picture 100meters away. Redfield is now made under Leupold, yes. Thats why I think they would be pretty good value for the money. I like the magnification, reticle and look of a Redfield 4-12x40, so im considering it.

I haven't looked through a Meopta but have several Zeiss conquest scopes, which are fantastic scopes. I don't think a Redfield would compare optically. I have heard it said that the Conquest scopes are assembled by Meopta, but don't know if that is true.

I can't speak about the MeoPro, but have a ZD 3-12x50 and am mightily impressed with clarity, sharpness and all round performance (just wish it didn't have the target turrets, although I've only ever found them moved twice in many uses and just remember to periodically check). Indeed, I'm so impressed that I'm looking at adding a .308 to my .243 in due course and will definitely buy another equivalent Meopta (the ZD retails at 790 and I was fortunate to pick up for 425 second hand). I have Lightstream 5-20x50 on my Rimfires, which are outstandingly clear and sharp, but a royal pain on eye relief. I must however also add that I will only use Mil Dot (or near equivalent) reticules, which rules out many of the other premium brands for me in any case.

Do you hunt with a honking big 6-24x50 target scope? If not put something on your .223 to match your hunting scopes.

I have a 6x42 on several centerfires - 3 are the same, not expensive one is. I have a 6x42 on a .223 and on a .22 LR, and on a .257 Roberts, which is the same size Remington 700 as one of my .30-06s and a .270. If I drop a 3-9x40 onto the .270 or .30-06, I will hunt with it at 6x. Why, because I am so familiar with the sight picture, with what things look like through the glass, at all ranges.

6x is about all most people can hold steady offhand.
    4x is about all we need for the game of size to match the cartridge.

I agree on the old Redfields, too. Love them. They are tanks, and look so good on a 1960s Model 70 or Remington 700.

A nice scope for a light weight .223 hunting rifle is the Burris 2-7x35mm in Ballistic Plex, Duplex, E1 or lighted E1 reticle.
    Last edited by Southern; 16-03-2014 at 03:25.

ive owned 4 conquests. and a meopro. and imo the conquest is brighter and more clear. it is also sharper on full mag. but then the meopro is cheaper. there both light being 1 inch tube.

if your on a budget and want warranty back up go for the meopro. if you got the extra dosh for the conquest and know its spot on get that.

the zplex ret on the conquest imo is one of the best of any scope maker. its not to fine you loose it in last light or under lamp. but fine enough to shoot vermin at longer ranges. with out covering a rabbits head
    Last edited by jay 22; 16-03-2014 at 12:01.