Thread: Reblacked

Reblacked

Anybody know how much it costs to have a rifle reblacked, thats blacked not blued could anyone reccomend a north east gunsmith to do it atb tommy

Quote Originally Posted by 270TOMMY View Post
    Anybody know how much it costs to have a rifle reblacked, thats blacked not blued could anyone reccomend a north east gunsmith to do it atb tommy
    Just what i was going to post..i want my .270 done..northeast or scot borders would be handy
    ???

About 150 for best London Rust Blacking caustic blacking is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    About 150 for best London Rust Blacking caustic blacking is cheaper.
    so for a 150 would they strip off the old finish and blue the barrel, action , trigger guard floor plate cover etc......

All the old finish has to come off the surface is prepared normally polished ultra bright the the process start of rust carding etc until the finish is achieved.

Are there no modern coatings that could be used?
    150 seems a lot to black a pair of barrels.

Yes there are but best London blacking is a labour intensive process. Duracoat Ceracoat etc I think come in around 100 powder coat 40 or a tin of spray 10 DIY

it's the same as stock finishes you can have hand rubbed oil takes a month or so easy to repair looks great for years.

Tru oil takes a week looks fine to start won't last a year on a heavily uses gun ok to repair

varnish or lacquer around 2 hours look carp looks really carp after a dink very hard to repair.

Your choice ice modern or traditional I'm a traditionalist

hot caustic boil in the bag blacking usually runs at between 80-100

the real cost is getting it to someone who can do it (well) and getting it back!
    I was looking at 2 round trips to the West side (easily 80 petrol) and 80 for the job!

Jeez. 150 for a proper rust bluing job...tell you what, I've now rust blued a good few numbers of barrels, and if I broke that down into 150 per barrelled action and bottom metal, my hourly rate would be less than the minimum wage.

just the rust removers, the wet/dry, the cotton wool, the carding, the solutions, the rubber gloves, propane, oil, etc. and you're probably over the 25+ in materials before you even begin. then you remove the black, start polishing with wet/dry, get out all dinks, etc. hand polish the intricate parts of the receiver, take the bolt bits apart and maybe need a dremel to polish off the old black and bring to a 320 grit final finish,,,then degrease, then add solution, then boil for half and hour, then dry with hairdryer, then card off, then heat in an oven, then apply another coat, over and over and over 8-20 times...

personally, I'd be aiming closer to the 500 mark to make it commercially viable to offer a 'QUALITY' rust bluing/blacking. Esp. bearing in mind that the job can take days to complete depending on the number of applications, up to a week even if you cannot commit all day to just one project. if that's the case, bear in mind the legalities of having to be able to store Section 1 parts hanging in a dry clean environment overnight that's not in a cabinet (as NOTHING) must touch the metal during the process...

I've heard of many charging 200 just for a caustic job...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Jeez. 150 for a proper rust bluing job...tell you what, I've now rust blued a good few numbers of barrels, and if I broke that down into 150 per barrelled action and bottom metal, my hourly rate would be less than the minimum wage.

just the rust removers, the wet/dry, the cotton wool, the carding, the solutions, the rubber gloves, propane, oil, etc. and you're probably over the 25+ in materials before you even begin. then you remove the black, start polishing with wet/dry, get out all dinks, etc. hand polish the intricate parts of the receiver, take the bolt bits apart and maybe need a dremel to polish off the old black and bring to a 320 grit final finish,,,then degrease, then add solution, then boil for half and hour, then dry with hairdryer, then card off, then heat in an oven, then apply another coat, over and over and over 8-20 times...

personally, I'd be aiming closer to the 500 mark to make it commercially viable to offer a 'QUALITY' rust bluing/blacking. Esp. bearing in mind that the job can take days to complete depending on the number of applications, up to a week even if you cannot commit all day to just one project. if that's the case, bear in mind the legalities of having to be able to store Section 1 parts hanging in a dry clean environment overnight that's not in a cabinet (as NOTHING) must touch the metal during the process...

I've heard of many charging 200 just for a caustic job...
    It become viable when your doing 20-30 sets of shotgun barrels or rifles a week!!! Some of the top London names charge 500 for barrels in the same workshop.