Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: .270 purchase

  1. #1

    .270 purchase

    Hey all need some advice ,

    got let down on a couple of rifles now on a buying them but now I have been told that one of my kind of local gun dealers has something good in stock second hand just wondering what price you reckon should I expect to pay for it ?? just in case he is asking too much.

    .270 Parker Hale with Redfield scope and T8 moderator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	39241

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    Hey all need some advice ,

    got let down on a couple of rifles now on a buying them but now I have been told that one of my kind of local gun dealers has something good in stock second hand just wondering what price you reckon should I expect to pay for it ?? just in case he is asking too much.

    .270 Parker Hale with Redfield scope and T8 moderator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	39241
    Condition will be the thing. The rifle is a P-H 1100 Deluxe by the way. Sorry but I don't know prices as have been out of circulation for some time now price wise.

    Check the throat of the bore for wear and roughness and of course the crown. Your single photo shows that it would appear to be in good order externally.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Condition will be the thing. The rifle is a P-H 1100 Deluxe by the way. Sorry but I don't know prices as have been out of circulation for some time now price wise.

    Check the throat of the bore for wear and roughness and of course the crown. Your single photo shows that it would appear to be in good order externally.
    Thats the photo I got from the Dealer and he is a very well known and thorough dealer and I have been told he is one to be trusted , Thank you for the advice don't know much about older rifles...

  4. #4
    Rifle maybe 300-400. Moderator worth about 100 used. Scope worth maybe 100-150 depending upon model. As a package I'd expect a dealer to charge about 550-600 for this. However, the .270 is quite a fast round and this rifle is quite old. The barrel life is only likely to be 2000-3000 rounds. I'd be very wary about buying this as it could be 'shot out', or won't last much longer. For similar money you could get something like a new Howa which will last considerably longer. Unless you can be sure of shot count, I would avoid this rifle.
    MS

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Rifle maybe 300-400. Moderator worth about 100 used. Scope worth maybe 100-150 depending upon model. As a package I'd expect a dealer to charge about 550-600 for this. However, the .270 is quite a fast round and this rifle is quite old. The barrel life is only likely to be 2000-3000 rounds. I'd be very wary about buying this as it could be 'shot out', or won't last much longer. For similar money you could get something like a new Howa which will last considerably longer. Unless you can be sure of shot count, I would avoid this rifle.
    MS
    495 quid full package, it's had a safety check done on it by the gun dealer. Does that matter ?

  6. #6
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    5,404
    The rifle maybe 100 to 150 at auction. Less because it has been threaded at the muzzle. And that stocking style went out of favour with tank tops and flared loons. And is as likely to come back into favour as tank tops and flared loons.

    Probably on a good day it might just break the 100 mark. Not much more. The Redfield 'scope is probably again topping out at 100. Depends if a fixed power or a variable. The mounts are bog standard P-Hale and, to be frank, mots folk now don't much favour them. Not "fashionable".

    I have no idea at all of the worth of the moderator.

    Monkey Spanker gives good advice. A more modern P-Hale then yes I'd consider it. But this? I wouldn't.

  7. #7
    Can you try it on a range? At 250 I'd take a chance. For 500 you could do with checking the grouping etc. If its a shooter then you've got all you need and any gun shooting well with mod and reasonable scope for 500? That's ok.

  8. #8
    As a package I would put the price at 450 - 500 at most. I would certainly want to inspect it closely and test it.

    It could be a good buy at that price depending on condition or it could be a pile of junk, my reasons for saying that-
    1. An old rifle (possibly 35 years old) based on a sound action but that is very much out of favour.
    2. A Redfield scope which are renown for being of dubious quality fitted in Parker Hale alloy rings once again not the best.
    3. A moderator that has a reputation for rusting out, something that needs to be checked carefully as does the bore for possible corrosion near the muzzle.


    As for the style of stock - I must be one of the few people in the country who actually like the style.
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-03-2014 at 07:04.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  9. #9
    what about .270 CZ550 S/H T8 moderator Nikko sights ????

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	39265#

    or

    We have a Remington 700 in .270 it has a synthetic stock it comes with a Richter Optik 6-24X50 AOE scope and Warne rings and bases . The moderator is a T8.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remington 700.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	39268
    Last edited by Tulloch; 16-03-2014 at 09:07.

  10. #10
    Very similar package so it will be dependant on the condition of the rifle.
    The same moderator so the same applies reference condition and rust. Some of the older Nikko Stirling scopes were good value for money but personally I rate the modern ones the same as a Redfield (i.e. poor at best). The rifle is once again a good sound well made design but not that popular as the flashier guns that seem to have found favour with the masses. Those that have owned them very rarely fault them. My guess is that you will be looking around the same price.

    P.S. Are you sure it is a Nikko scope? I can't quite make out the markings but it looks like another make to me.


    Personally I am not fond of Remingtons so I would leave that one alone but that's only me others rate them highly, but usually only after spending a bit of money on them to put things right that should have been sorted in the factory in the first place.
    Last edited by 8x57; 16-03-2014 at 09:14.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Similar Threads

  1. Right to purchase ammo
    By Crosshair243 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 15:57
  2. Authorisation to purchase question.
    By Win Mod 70 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 14:00
  3. USA purchase
    By Hulse in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-07-2013, 12:39
  4. Troubles with Peroxide purchase
    By digger9523 in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 14:01
  5. .17HMR purchase
    By Highlander in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-06-2008, 12:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •