Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt Licks

Salt Licks

I mainly shoot roe and fallow and was wondering
    Does anyone use salt licks or pastes ?
    Does it improve the standard of the heads ?
    Does it pull deer into an area and hold them ?
    If it is any good where should i get some from ?

Salt licks are a good addition to their diet. Some contain copper and other minerals lacking in their diet, which are suppose to enhance antler growth.

Downside is if you want to put salt licks out to attract Deer it wont be long before they get wise to the fact that their mates are dissapearing on the way to have a lick of that nice stone. (I speak from experience here)

If it is really for the sustained antler growth then you will need a few put out all over the ground you have. Red Rockies are what ive used and are designed with Deer in mind. these can be attached to trees via special brackets or put in shelterd areas. They are not small (10Kg) so it will need to be researched.

Pastes do wash off and ive seen aniseed sprayed onto trees, which did interest a Stag, it might of been a fluke!

Good agri suppliers will sell salt licks.

Hope this helps.

Cal

Bagpuss
    I have been told that some salt licks should not be used where sheep might have access to them.Anyone know which ones are ok and which ones aren't?

A friend of mine uses saltz paste (from bushwear I think) with aniseed to help pull the deer into an area that would allow a safe shot. He swears by it, especially when used with Alfalfa feed.

Bagpuss
    Is he based in the USA?

No, In sunny Kent. Well he was until February when he emigrated to New Zealand. Lucky swine!

Bagpuss
    Where did he get his Alfalfa feed from?

I am not sure where he got his Alfalfa from but you can get Alfa A from scats and I think it is the same stuff. Looks the same anyway.

Bagpuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy L
    I am not sure where he got his Alfalfa from but you can get Alfa A from scats and I think it is the same stuff. Looks the same anyway.
    Scats???????

malcolm
    you may not have a Scats up near you Bagpuss. It is a chain of stores that sells all sorts of farm equipment, feed for domestic stock as well as dogs, horses and fowl. We have them down here in the south, but I have never seen them in Scotland or up north.