Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nerdy Question for Gunsmiths

Nerdy Question for Gunsmiths

Something that has been niggling me.

In the movies, we see folk with silencers on handguns. The majority of us will be familiar with screw cut barrels on rifles.You don't see screw cut hand guns in movies, but folk seem to stick silencers on all over the place. I can understand how on could be fitted to something like a Berreta 92, how does James Bond manage to put one on his PPK ?

Nerdy, I know. But, would like to have this long lingering question answered.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Something that has been niggling me.

In the movies, we see folk with silencers on handguns. The majority of us will be familiar with screw cut barrels on rifles.You don't see screw cut hand guns in movies, but folk seem to stick silencers on all over the place. I can understand how on could be fitted to something like a Berreta 92, how does James Bond manage to put one on his PPK ?

Nerdy, I know. But, would like to have this long lingering question answered.
    He doesnt hes ficticeous, atb doug, let the brain do the work, the eyes are just for looking through,
    DONT START

It's Hollywood so about as close to the truth as a politicians expenses claim sheet.

Might be achievable with a detent ball type of arrangement, similar to the locking device on artic suzies.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The PPK is a good choice because the barrel is fixed. The existing barrel or more often a new one is machined with a suitable fitting - either screw thread as per commonly seen on rifles or some form of latching mechanism - eg locks in half a turn.

Some suitable designs - eg with sufficient barrel extending beyond the slide can take a friction fitting - but it is hugely inefficient and unreliable.

There is a great deal of interesting 'gun lore' behind the Fleming/ Bond saga. Major Boothroyd - 'Q' - represented Geoffrey Boothroyd, who had extensive correspondence with Fleming concerning Bond's firearms. In terms of fact/ fiction/ accuracy; Geoffrey put it best - ' ... technical embarrassment aside, Ian recognised the value of words in the art form. He recognised that the potential for the protagonist to have an interesting day increased exponentially carrying his Walther PPK in a Berns-Martin Triple draw rig; as opposed a pistol in a holster. That the two were technically incompatible was irrelevant; and in any case a failure on my part to fully explain the situation...'

Now before the crowd pile in to ask how is this relevant to stalking etc etc - JAYB is a dead ringer for M as played by the irreplaceable Bernard Lee.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    The PPK is a good choice because the barrel is fixed. The existing barrel or more often a new one is machined with a suitable fitting - either screw thread as per commonly seen on rifles or some form of latching mechanism - eg locks in half a turn.

Some suitable designs - eg with sufficient barrel extending beyond the slide can take a friction fitting - but it is hugely inefficient and unreliable.

There is a great deal of interesting 'gun lore' behind the Fleming/ Bond saga. Major Boothroyd - 'Q' - represented Geoffrey Boothroyd, who had extensive correspondence with Fleming concerning Bond's firearms. In terms of fact/ fiction/ accuracy; Geoffrey put it best - ' ... technical embarrassment aside, Ian recognised the value of words in the art form. He recognised that the potential for the protagonist to have an interesting day increased exponentially carrying his Walther PPK in a Berns-Martin Triple draw rig; as opposed a pistol in a holster. That the two were technically incompatible was irrelevant; and in any case a failure on my part to fully explain the situation...'

Now before the crowd pile in to ask how is this relevant to stalking etc etc - JAYB is a dead ringer for M as played by the irreplaceable Bernard Lee.
    No chance jayb is Kilwillie from Highland Enterprises

270T - you stick with your version, I'll go with mine... and we'll see who gets the best cake at Kelso
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

My personal favorite is when Hollywood has a silencer on a revolver.
    Yeah. That would work...~Muir

screw cut pistol barrels were/are commom and twist and lock fittings were also used , Suppressors first of all need a means to attach to the firearm. The most popular method being a threaded muzzle on the barrel and a corresponding thread pattern on a supressor for the given caliber. So, they are both caliber specific and specific to the thread pattern of the muzzle on the firearm. They work best with the subsonic loadings, like the others mentioned.
    Suppressors do work on a few specific models of revolvers. One of them is the Model 1895 Nagant Revoler. The reason is that it uses the cartridge as a gas seal between the cylinder and the barrel (most revolvers don't do this). The idea was that no gas would escape the action when the bullet made the jump from the casing in the cylinder to the barrel. These high pressure combustion gases rapidly expanding are what makes the bang when the gun fires; much like uncorking a champagne bottle but on a larger scale. i have used suppressed .22 vostok and 9mm ,40 cal and the 45 acp socom all work in real life without the need of james bond lol.
    Last edited by paul o'; 16-03-2014 at 14:57.

SD Regular
    Those immortal words in Dr No, "You're using a Smith & Wesson and you've had you six". Except that it looked more like a Browning 1910!

So I always thought that if the "baddie" had replied, "Actually it's a Browning and I've got eight". And the shot James Bond dead with his remaining two rounds that it would have been a far more realistic film. Although shorter.