Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leica or Swarovski which are longer lasting or better built?

Leica or Swarovski which are longer lasting or better built?

Am about to order either Leica 8x32 Ultravid Hd or Swarovski 8x32 EL and know both have great glass but am wondering if people have an opinion on which make is the tougher built or more robust.

I don't think you will go too far wrong with either mate!
    I would question your choice of objective size though if they are for stalking?
    x32 is quite narrow and will not give you good low light performance. Better to spend a bit more and get a x 42 objective I reckon!
    MS

Thanks for that, i have been tossing up objective size as well, but as most of my stalking is done in the mountains weight and size is critical so am going with the 32's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    I don't think you will go too far wrong with either mate!
    I would question your choice of objective size though if they are for stalking?
    x32 is quite narrow and will not give you good low light performance. Better to spend a bit more and get a x 42 objective I reckon!
    MS
    As monkey spanker said mate i have the swarovski 8x42slc 32 might not be strong enough

Leica/Swarovski

I use Swarovski 8-32 els and find them a great pair of binoculars, most of my stalking is open hill and the fact they are quite compact and not too heavy you dont notice them around your neck.

Would recommend them, a couple of lads i shoot with have used Swaroski 7-42 Slc for the last 10 years without any problems, you wont go wrong with any of the Swarovski range of binoculars.

wicklow202

From my experience of hunting in mountains I would go for 10 power, I was using 8.5 power my mate had 10 power and in this environment I think the 10 power had the edge. Either make will be fine, but are the Swarvo’s lighter?

ATB

Tahr

There`s nowt like getting all kitted up for a hunting holiday in the mountains,lol.
    Most of the experienced guys go for the 8x40/42 types but by all means try the 10 mag one`s exactly at the same time as the 8 mag ones..
    Oh and Leica are lighter Thar boy

As mos have said both are very good Glass and if you want 30 ob then that's fine as long as you have done your home work .That said if you had done your home work and were worried about weight you would have went straight for the HD lieca as they are a good deal lighter.
    for me stalking most any were it would be at least 7 x42

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty
    Oh and Leica are lighter Thar boy
    Thanks for answering my question sooty kid. I use neither make.

If you plan on using them back in the UK then 7 or 8 power would be a good choice, but in my experience in the mountains 10 power have the edge, some of the US sheep hunters go to 12 power. Where is your mountain hunt?
    A few photos of mountains cause it takes me back.

ATB

Tahr

Yes they look like fine mountains behind that mincing pose Thar boy,lol.
    But i`m sure any sensible uk stalking guy would make do with his 8x40`s whilst on an exotic hunting Holiday.
    Now how many times in the last 5 years have you hunted in that terrain??
    Oh and i don't hunt mountains and if i did then my Leica 8x42 would be suffice