Thread: High Seat Mods…..

High Seat Mods…..

A few pictures of some mods I made to a high seat I have just purchased. For the money it is not bad, however having sat in a few different ones on the last two outings all of us have found the front bars are always to low even on there full extension.
    So with a bit of fiddling and using some left over material from when I made my shooting seats.
    Quite happy with how it came out, I added an elbow support while I was at it….
    Just a lick of paint to go………..

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 17-03-2014 at 07:31. Reason: add picture

Its not very high, thanks for sharing the pictures, I have the same seat and also find the bar too low. I didn't like the support bar on the ladder either, so bolted 1" box section (angle would probably do the job) onto the ladder to allow use without the support

much better shooting height ,why do makers make A, Them to hard to climb up into it due to the front bar or B, you feel like you need a sandbag or pipe lagin to get the rifle sitting safe and to get a better line of sight its ok if you are shooting within 20 yrds but at 150 you have to sink as low as a slug in the seat to get a shot off or freehand it ? your way it looks like even a big lad won't get hung up getting in and the rifle is better located for the longer shot , nice work feller
    edit would be better with a right elbow rest and a drinks bottle holder
    Last edited by paul o'; 16-03-2014 at 20:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Its not very high, thanks for sharing the pictures, I have the same seat and also find the bar too low. I didn't like the support bar on the ladder either, so bolted 1" box section (angle would probably do the job) onto the ladder to allow use without the support
    What have you done about the front bar? Mine is curved... http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse6c32b3e.jpg

I will get around a few boot sales and buy up a set of double ally ladders and make the seat frames , this way I can have up 2 more seats from one set of ladders....I recon the school chair seats will be just right as they are made to sit in for long time....

Tim.243

I've not done anything with the front of mine yet, but will follow your lead.

not a bad job on that seat but i think you may have to bring the bar up to the top of the backrest on your seat otherwise your will have nothing to rest on if your target comes from your right or left. but thats only my opinion if your happy with it thats all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    not a bad job on that seat but i think you may have to bring the bar up to the top of the backrest on your seat otherwise your will have nothing to rest on if your target comes from your right or left. but thats only my opinion if your happy with it thats all that counts.
    Thank you, I can get around far more than the original bar, and leaning forward with the extra room makes a difference.
    The main object was to be able to shoot in a comfortable stable position...

Tim.243

Finally took pictures of the mods made to mine. Every ladder joint is reinforced with 1" box, bolted through, this allows me to use it without the brace, it no longer creaks and I feel more confident. The untidy splodges of paint are for rust prevention

To raise the rail, I cut it off and was lucky enough to have a steel tube with a slight angle bent in (I think its from an old bracket for something) even more lucky, it was a snug fit into the rail so a few taps with a block of wood and I now have a better shooting position (taped in picture to make sure its the correct height before a bolt or a weld)